Boiling without grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi, could i add gains directly into water, without gain bag and later transfer in into second kettle through a strainer?

Boiling, steeping, or mashing. For mashing or steeping it should be fine as the temperature won't be high enough to extract tannins even if the pH is too high. Boiling is another situation. If the pH is low enough it should be fine but with higher temperature and pH over 6.0 you get tannin extraction.

Sry, my bad, transfer to the another kettle after steeping.

Sry, my bad, transfer to the another kettle after steeping.

It would depend on the size of strainer whether it would be difficult or not. A bigger strainer would hold all the grains and not clog. Think about using a paint strainer bag (5 gallon size) and line the second pot with that. Dump in the grains and water, lift bag out to strain. Easy to strain, easy to carry the spent grains to dispose of them.

With that in mind, maybe just do it all in one step. Line the kettle with the paint strainer bag and steep there. Hmm....that's awfully close to doing all grain with BIAB. You would need enough base malts to offset the malt extract and the water the proper temperature for the mash, not at all difficult.

Latest posts

Back