Boiling information needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMyLove

Reaction score
I added the extract to the sparged grains correctly and brought it to the correct temp stated which was 170 degrees f. Later i added the extract and the temp remained around 170f. The batch reached 230 degrees and it was then beginning to boil. I held it at boil for an hour adding hops at the times the recipe called for.

Basically my question is what is the temp that the extract stage of the boil should be maxed at?

Mind you at a lower temp it was not boiling it was only slightly rolling.

Thanks in advance to all my fellow brewers.

unless you are way, way below sea level there is something weird going on here: your wort reached 230*F. wort boils around 210-212*F, you would have had a strong boil anywhere above that. i strongly doubt the average homebrewer has the setup to get their wort to 230. that would be a very violent boil (and would require a big heat source).

what kind of thermometer are you using? have you calibrated it? what does it read when you stick it in boiling water?

watch the video below and try this: do the boil calibration (212*F), then the ice calibration (32*F, use more ice, preferably crushed, if you can) - then, check your thermometer again against the boil. if it's not boiling at 212 again, after the previous 2 calibrations, there is something wrong with the thermometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'm going to try this out and see what happens. I will post my results. What do you think of digital thermometers?

What do you think of digital thermometers?
Sometimes they are accurate, sometimes they are way off. The $10 kitchen types with a wire to reach the turkey are more likely to be off than a $50 pen style thermometer. You could get an accurate cheap thermometer by chance. IMO, calibrate any digital thermometer against a trusted thermometer - and not just at boiling and freezing but start there. They can be non-linear.

sweetcell said:
unless you are way, way below sea level there is something weird going on here: your wort reached 230*F. wort boils around 210-212*F, you would have had a strong boil anywhere above that. i strongly doubt the average homebrewer has the setup to get their wort to 230. that would be a very violent boil (and would require a big heat source).

This statement is slightly inaccurate...once the wort boils, it will never go above the boiling temp, which is typically around 210F at about 800FT above sea level. The more energy put into the boil, the more vigorous the boil, that part is correct. But the temperature will not ever go above the boiling temp. Now, if you would put the wort under pressure, you could raise the boiling point, but again, only to a certain point- the critical point, which is the pressure at which the vapor and liquid properties are identical. So, in recap, boiling point is capped at a specific temp. More energy = a more vigorous boil and a higher evaporation rate, which is not necessarily a good thing in brewing.

That's your thermodynamic lesson for the day, I now return you to your forum enjoyment pleasure!

tyzippers said:
This statement is slightly inaccurate...once the wort boils, it will never go above the boiling temp, which is typically around 210F at about 800FT above sea level. The more energy put into the boil, the more vigorous the boil, that part is correct. But the temperature will not ever go above the boiling temp. Now, if you would put the wort under pressure, you could raise the boiling point, but again, only to a certain point- the critical point, which is the pressure at which the vapor and liquid properties are identical. So, in recap, boiling point is capped at a specific temp. More energy = a more vigorous boil and a higher evaporation rate, which is not necessarily a good thing in brewing.

That's your thermodynamic lesson for the day, I now return you to your forum enjoyment pleasure!

+1 !!!

If the thermometer actually read 230 then is is quite off and either you calibrate or pitch it and get a reliable one!

Forums are so great. You guys are definitely teaching me a lot. I am going to be a great brewer thanks to you guys.

I added the extract to the sparged grains correctly and brought it to the correct temp stated which was 170 degrees f. Later i added the extract and the temp remained around 170f. The batch reached 230 degrees and it was then beginning to boil. I held it at boil for an hour adding hops at the times the recipe called for.

Basically my question is what is the temp that the extract stage of the boil should be maxed at?

Mind you at a lower temp it was not boiling it was only slightly rolling.

Thanks in advance to all my fellow brewers.

??? Why would they tell you to bring the wort to 170F after the extract is added? That's more of a maximum sparge water temp. Then you later added the extract & the temp stayed at 170F? I think you need to correct a couple sentences. It sounds like either E/SG or PM. Which one?

BeerMyLove said:
Ok I'm going to try this out and see what happens. I will post my results. What do you think of digital thermometers?

Cannot beat a thermapen, but its $100. For cooking and brewing though I am now spoiled will never go without one.

Forums are so great. You guys are definitely teaching me a lot. I am going to be a great brewer thanks to you guys.

lol Is this supposed to be sarcasm? I may just be reading it wrong.

Anyways, I agree with the previous posters that you cannot get water above its boiling temperature. It simply stays at that temp while it boils off.

My question to you would be why are you adding extract to your grains as you are sparging? Are you not getting enough effeciency out of your mash, so you have to add extract to up the og? If thats the case then you can just add the extract straight to the boil, there is no need to sparge it through the spent grains. also if thats the case you could just have a bigger grain bill to make up for it.

billpaustin said:
I'll have to check my boiling temp, since I'm at 8,000 feet. It should be less, I think, we have low air pressure up here.

168F

If you add salt it will raise the boiling temperature

My mistake the sparged grains was to be brought to 170f. After which I added the extract and brought to a boil. I did not explain myself correctly. On the 12th of March I took a reading of my sg. My OG was 1.040 on the 12th it was 1.010 on the dot and I tried it it was far better than the wort tasted. I have bubbles still going around 1 every 3 to 5 secs in primary. Im going to give it another few days and transfer to secondary.

It'll clear just as well in primary,not to mention clean up any by products of fermentation. It'll settle out clear or slightly misty as it does so.

Latest posts

Back