Blichmann Boilermaker - 10 vs 20 Gallon ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chays99

Reaction score
I have a question regarding sizing for a new Boilermaker I plan to purchase this week. I am currently doing 5 gallon all grain packages. I would like to upgrade to 10 gallon batches in the near future but don't have any additional equipment to support 10 gallon batches right now.

Are there any issues with using a 20 gallon pot to do five gallon batches? I would assume not since I currently use a keggle for five gallon batches. But, would like to float it out there before spending a ton of cash.

Maybe its a dumb question, I just wanted some feedback before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance!

Eh... You can, but the pot is HUGE. The thermometer won't work and you'll barley register wort in the sight since it starts at I think 3.5 gallons.

I brew 10 gallons mainly. I have two 20 gallon blichmanns and a 15. I use the 15 as my HLT, but if I decide to do 5 gallons, I swap it to become the BK.

I have a 15 gallon Blickman for both my M/LT and Kettle with a 10 gallon thermos for my HLT. With a 5 gallon batch, the strike water and mash usually (but not always depending on the grainbill) will reach the thermometer level. It works fine for a 10 gallon batch. The Kettle has the same issue for a 5 gallon batch - my breboil volume is above the thermometer, but as the boil goes on it falls below. Not a big deal for the boil, but can be a hassle for the mash. I did my first 10 gallon batch with this setup last weekend and it went well. The preboil volume in the kettle was 13.5 gallons, so pretty close to the top. I had to watch it closely and used a couple of drops of Fermcap (antifoaming agent) but probably didn't need it.

I think, in all, the 15 gallon Boilmaker is a good compromise for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.

I think, in all, the 15 gallon Boilmaker is a good compromise for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.

I agree. 15 is a good compromise for 5/10 gallon batches. That's why I did the 20/15 so I could do 15 gallon batches down to 5. I mainly stick with 10, but for those experimental batches I'd rather waste 5. For those big events I want to do 15.

Thanks for the feedback.

With my keggle, my preboil volume is just under 7.5 gallons to end up with 5.5 to the fermenter. I wonder what the difference is between my keggle setup and the Blichmann. I think I've read that the keggle is not the most efficient vessel.

I also wonder if I'm just wishing to do 10 gallon batches. My friends aren't big home brew drinkers and my keezer only holds three kegs. So, I'm not sure that I need to do 10 gallon batches.

I never thought I'd bother with 10, but now I love it.

The biggest thing is it saves time brewing those tried and true recipes. I love the left hand milk stout and I'm starting to think about making 15 gallon batches of it. Just get a few extra kegs. Let one age while the other is getting used.

It's also nice for splitting batches to do different things with.

Like try dry hopping the batches different or pitch different yeast or let one go to keg while you turn the other into a sour...

I did 10 gallons of saison (fermenting now) 5 will go to keg 5 will get racked on peaches. I did 10 gallons of cream ale. 5 will get some cherry juice added to it...etc.

I purchased a 20g Blichmann under the same logic: using it for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Be warned, the 20 gallon is a monster. Folks are right that the convenience features (like site glass and thermometer) won't work for five gallon batches. And it is a HUGE PITA to clean.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't go any larger than a 15 gallon pot.

So it looks like 20 gallons is out. I guess I need to decide between 10 and 15 gallons based on how frequently I would do 10 gallon batches.

If I were going to do 10 gallon batches, how would I age the kegs? I live in Texas so its usually very warm. I could keep kegs inside at room temperature or in the garage. I don't have a cold aging option (if that even matters).

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all of the responses.

I don't know. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a 20 gal. I have a 15 gal blich that I use for my MLT, and two penrose kettles i use for HLT and BK. I do alot of 10 gal batches, and on some bigger beers, would love to have a 20 gal MLT to handle the grain bill. On your smaller beers at 10 gal volumes, you can always use it for your BK and your keggle for the MLT, swap it around when doing higher gravity 10 gal batches. Just something to consider.

Back