BL Commercial sorta misleading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
So they claim 4 ingredients, Barley, Rice, Water and Hops.
Ummmmmm, what about yeast? This commercial is clearly an attempt to pretend the product complies with German brewing laws (that I admittedly can't spell) when in fact rice is not allowed.
It's silly for these companies to mislead people. If they aren't pretending they are super American, they are acting, like, uber German-ish.
Really, isn't this every bit as bad as selling an 11 inch foot long sub.
Where are those regulators when you need them? J/k.

Why do you think they are trying to give the impression of complying with German beer laws? I haven't seen said commercial but sounds like they may just be trying to say "we use only natural ingredients just like the craft guys". That's a huge bonus for them considering some of the things I've heard get dumped into some of the "classic" beers.

If you filter the yeast is it really an ingredient? Shouldn't ethanol and Carbon dioxide be listed as well?

I wonder what purpose all that rice serves, besides a cost savings for the brewery. A friend of mine was diagnosed with celiac disease and instructed to avoid gluten. As a beer lover he was heartbroken; his doc said it's no problem, just stick to BMC since they are mostly rice and nearly gluten free. His response was "Umm no, I said I love beer"

Yep, just talking about it with my wife the other day. Just another obvious ploy to tap into the "craft" of craft brewing. Hysterical. If not reinheitsgebot, pretty closely implied so. I all but expected to see guys in aprons with mash paddles.

Nothing but respect for the skill of taking such a variable thing as the raw ingredients of beer, and turning it into the exactingly same, insipid, water, a million times over, day in and day out, year in and year out.

But it would be the same thing as when I would be driving to the Fulton Street production plant for Goose, seeing a huge billboard with a glistening, dripping, bottle of Miller and big bold letters calling out, "TIME FOR A GOOD OLD MACROBREW." They all have it, as we know - a billion dollars to intimate quality. I'd be completely lying if I didn't say, it sucks.

The marketing takes advantage of terms regarding method and processes many drinkers have little knowledge about. DIY home brewers can spot them fairly well and the advertisers only have 30 seconds to sell. It takes more than a few seconds to educate yourself and many big macro brewers won't bother with a better informed consumer, it's not in their budget or interest to do so.

While we're on this, I'll give my take on that rice bit.
Rice grains consist of mainly starch granules with little in the way of cellulose, protein, or pectin. It means more fermentable mass can be broken down by weight compared to malted grains because little is left over as waste product. A forty to fifty pound bag can be purchased for approximately the same price as malted barley and there's less work involved using it during the brewing process.

So...rice is technically grain and it's cheaper by weight. Less clarification has to be done and you still get easy glucose for the yeast to eat. Some carbs might be left in a rice-heavy mash, but by and large, rice is very soluble in hot water with much less waste compared to barley.

Do you think the small proportion of barley they do use is there for its diastatic power? Or just for color/flavor while they add amylase enzyme to handle conversion? Is that a thing? I'm no expert but IMHO their beer tastes like it contains only a token level of malt flavor. Also if they left barley out entirely, it would cause a PR nightmare, I would challenge their right to market it as beer at all. Maybe that's what zima was? Testing the waters for a clear, all rice beer?

The funny thing is AB invbev is buying up as many craft breweries and stores as they can.

If you can't beat them, buy them! The New York Yankees did this with great results back in the day

Remove or own the competitions, what a great concept

In the end the only thing that changes is what we/ who decide to support

nothing to do with Reinheitsgebot, the commercial ridicules all the other ingredients smaller breweries are putting in beer; fruits and such. one beer has a lobster claw sticking out of the glass

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUoxBV0Tck[/ame]

I can say with near certainty that BL drinkers don't know about German brewing standards, or even care to know.

What would happen if one of them came out with an all barley version of their regular recipe, with the hops named on the label, along with a batch number? Would that provide the impression of authenticity they seem to be seeking? Well for one that product would cannibalize some of the sales of their standard, more profitable product. Second, it would educate their customers about real beer while acknowledging how awful their product is, in the end perhaps starting many of their loyal followers on a path toward craft brews. It makes much more sense to keep their mainstream audience in the dark, arming them with ignorance as blinders against the ever-growing crowd of craft and homebrew drinkers who are constantly trying to bring them into the light. At the other end of this trajectory they must see its a losing battle, that eventually the cognoscenti will outnumber their ignorant syncophants, so they are maneuvering to be in a position to own much of the profits generated over here at the deep end of the mug. Still, I think they play a dangerous game talking about the purity of their product, even if it is to shore up their image in the short term.

Most beers i drink except for sam adams don't need commercials to sell there beers ..great beers sell themselves

I just watched that commercial again, and I can admit that I really like it. Even as a devout enemy of bud light, I like their sense of humor and some of the sarcastic craft beer shots were really clever and not far from the truth; I had a salty chocolate raspberry gose last week that would have fit perfectly in their lineup. I especially liked the lid slamming shut on the steinkrug, a subtle way of saying "oh shaddap already about german beers!" and making them seem unapproachable or inaccessible.

Brilliant commercial, although at the end there they left out a shot of a rice paddy...

I can say with near certainty that BL drinkers don't know about German brewing standards, or even care to know.

I think that this is exactly why the type of advertising that invokes the "German purity law" works on those people. They have no idea what it really is, so it's easy to sell them on ads that have a romantic-sounding story about tradition and the old world, told in voiceover by a man who sounds like a "real man from the heartland." In fact, this actually works best if your target consumer doesn't know anything about the law or its history, and doesn't feel inclined to think into it any further. ('Cause thinking hurts)

I think that this is exactly why the type of advertising that invokes the "German purity law" works on those people. They have no idea what it really is, so it's easy to sell them on ads that have a romantic-sounding story about tradition and the old world, told in voiceover by a man who sounds like a "real man from the heartland." In fact, this actually works best if your target consumer doesn't know anything about the law or its history, and doesn't feel inclined to think into it any further. ('Cause thinking hurts)

You're absolutely right.

You've also just described why all of the pillars of our culture (politics, religion, pop culture, mass marketing, and big time pro and college sports) are so successful. Most people are perfectly willing to suspend disbelief and yield to the power of suggestion. 'Cause thinking hurts. ;)

Mark

nothing to do with Reinheitsgebot, the commercial ridicules all the other ingredients smaller breweries are putting in beer; fruits and such. one beer has a lobster claw sticking out of the glass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUoxBV0Tck

I like the message they are sending. I have no desire to drink the off the wall beers they are doing now. I just saw an advertisement for an Upslope strawberry mint IPA. WTF, do we have craft zima now? If you actually enjoy beer how can that sound good? There's some things I can tolerate such as a little chocolate, coffee or coconut in a stout or some coriander seed in a Saison. Bootstrap has an interesting kinda refreshing pineapple wheat but that's really pushing it for me and it really didn't even taste like beer. My friend brought over a blueberry cobbler from somewhere in Florida. It didn't taste bad for a boozy blueberry soda but didn't taste anything like beer. Went to a tap room for dudes brewery in Socal, they had a bunch of these types of "beer", the few normal ones they had were marginal at best so I'm guessing it's a case of "if we toss a bunch of crap in it they won't be able to tell it's mediocre beer.

You're absolutely right.

You've also just described why all of the pillars of our culture (politics, religion, pop culture, mass marketing, and big time pro and college sports) are so successful. Most people are perfectly willing to suspend disbelief and yield to the power of suggestion. 'Cause thinking hurts. ;)

Mark

Couldn't agree more.

I like the message they are sending. I have no desire to drink the off the wall beers they are doing now. I just saw an advertisement for an Upslope strawberry mint IPA. WTF, do we have craft zima now? If you actually enjoy beer how can that sound good? There's some things I can tolerate such as a little chocolate, coffee or coconut in a stout or some coriander seed in a Saison. Bootstrap has an interesting kinda refreshing pineapple wheat but that's really pushing it for me and it really didn't even taste like beer. My friend brought over a blueberry cobbler from somewhere in Florida. It didn't taste bad for a boozy blueberry soda but didn't taste anything like beer. Went to a tap room for dudes brewery in Socal, they had a bunch of these types of "beer", the few normal ones they had were marginal at best so I'm guessing it's a case of "if we toss a bunch of crap in it they won't be able to tell it's mediocre beer.

I hear you on this, and to be honest, there have been times when I've opted for a macro lager over some off-the-wall mess of a 12% oak aged double dry hopped chocolate marshmallow Belgian Brett barleywine. On the other hand, "doesn't taste like beer" isn't a great metric for quality either. For sure, some breweries add tons of extra stuff to salvage bad beer and make it saleable. But then there are things like sours -- beers that, by all standards recognizeable by the general beer-drinking public, don't actually taste very beer-like, yet which are very much something that holds a well-respected place in the world of beer styles.

Makes me think of Flying Dog Dead Rise. While it doesn't contain actual shellfish, it's got a picture of a crab on it (and Old Bay actually in the beer.)

Dead-Rise-label-wo-UPC.jpg

Honestly, it bothers me that even the craft beer drinkers pick fun at the adjuncts in craft brew. It's a culinary hobby, why should there be any limit to the creativity in my brew? That's like saying "A real burger doesn't have bacon or guacamole. A real burger should only have beef, bread, ketchup, and mustard."

I'd say 90% of my beers follow the reinheitsgebot. But if I want to add grapefruit, pumpkin spice or a souring bug then sue me.

Honestly, it bothers me that even the craft beer drinkers pick fun at the adjuncts in craft brew. It's a culinary hobby, why should there be any limit to the creativity in my brew? That's like saying "A real burger doesn't have bacon or guacamole. A real burger should only have beef, bread, ketchup, and mustard."

I'd say 90% of my beers follow the reinheitsgebot. But if I want to add grapefruit, pumpkin spice or a souring bug then sue me.

Excellent point! I never thought of homebrewing as a culinary hobby, but it totally is. Though to BMC drinkers and the uninitiated, I can see where it can come off as pretentious, just like haute cuisine. I think that's the thread BL is tugging at in this commercial.

"A real burger doesn't have bacon or guacamole. A real burger should only have beef, bread, ketchup, and mustard."

see... that's where you're wrong

Grog's Rules for Food #4 – Ketchup is only for potatoes, but not on mashed or baked

;) no. really, burgers are like jazz: ain't no rules, baby... it's JAZZ!

Makes me think of Flying Dog Dead Rise. While it doesn't contain actual shellfish, it's got a picture of a crab on it (and Old Bay actually in the beer.)

Dead-Rise-label-wo-UPC.jpg

and while Dead Rise is a very decent beer, if I'm eating crabs (or anything, really), I would like my beer to complement the flavors of the meal, not reinforce them

Honestly, it bothers me that even the craft beer drinkers pick fun at the adjuncts in craft brew. It's a culinary hobby, why should there be any limit to the creativity in my brew?

I feel like the commercial is playing up the predictability of Bud Light. You know what it's going to taste like and the reason it tastes like that is because of the short ingredients list.

I like to be somewhat adventurous in my beer drinking, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't pick up the occasional miss from the store.

This made me laugh. I'm not a big fan of crazy beer combos, but one of my favorite beers is Oxbow's Saison Dell'aragosta. It's brewed with lobsters in the boil. It has no real lobster taste but the salt water/briney water adds tremendously to the flavor. First time I had it I had no idea how it was brewed. Once I learned how they made it, I didn't care what went in it as it was freaking good.

I'm of the opinion that you don't know how good something is until you try it. While 99% of the coffee raspberry jalapeno goat cheese and celery NE IPAs will never touch my lips, I am ok with people who brew them, and even with people who drink them. I feel bad for people that drink BMC but I don't look down on them. They like what they like, and unfortunately for them they are missing out on real flavor. But maybe they are ok with it.

Brew on, and drink on!!

This made me laugh. I'm not a big fan of crazy beer combos, but one of my favorite beers is Oxbow's Saison Dell'aragosta. It's brewed with lobsters in the boil. It has no real lobster taste but the salt water/briney water adds tremendously to the flavor. First time I had it I had no idea how it was brewed. Once I learned how they made it, I didn't care what went in it as it was freaking good.

I'm of the opinion that you don't know how good something is until you try it. While 99% of the coffee raspberry jalapeno goat cheese and celery NE IPAs will never touch my lips, I am ok with people who brew them, and even with people who drink them. I feel bad for people that drink BMC but I don't look down on them. They like what they like, and unfortunately for them they are missing out on real flavor. But maybe they are ok with it.

Brew on, and drink on!!

I'm of the opinion that you don't know how good something is until you try it. While 99% of the coffee raspberry jalapeno goat cheese celery NE IPAs will never touch my lips, I am ok with people who brew them, and even with people who drink them. I feel bad for people that drink BMC but I don't look down on them. They like what they like, and unfortunately for them they are missing out on real flavor. But maybe they are ok with it.

Brew on, and drink on!!

Back