BJCP 2015 Category Help- Whiskey Barrel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slukev

Reaction score
Just starting to try my hand at some competitions-pretty good luck so far, but definitely a noob. Sorry in advance if basic questions... But think I have my favorite batch to date and want to see how it does. Just need help decided which category or categories to go with.

It is a Whiskey Barrel Porter. Porter recipe aged in a fresh dumped whiskey barrel. (bummed it is only a 5 gal barrel....:mad:)
The whiskey flavor is definitely up front on this, not in a bad way-just solid. There is some wood flavor, but faint.

Since the wood is slight should I still use category 33 or am I shooting myself in the foot as wood is not the main focus?
Worth a shot in under Porter or the whiskey a problem?
Specialty Category?

I am fine entering in a couple categories just want to give it a good shot where ever it lands.

If it helps the recipe is close to this Black Butte Recipe- solid recipe if you are looking!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=145879

Thanks everyone for all you share on here!
Kevin

I would recommend the 33B. That's the whole point of 33B, a beer with specific alcohol flavors.

33B. Specialty Wood-Aged Beer
This style is intended for beer aged in wood with added
alcohol character from previous use of the barrel. Bourbonbarrel
or other similar beers should be entered here.

Thanks Beezer! That was my initial thought, just wanted to make sure the lower wood flavor wouldn't mess that up.

Have a RIS in the barrel now, should get less whiskey this go. Speaking of which may be time to pull the nail and taste it soon!

Thanks again

Back