Bev air bm-23 for sale on craigslist: need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
An old model bev air bm-23 popped up on craigslist last night (see the link and pics below). According to the seller the unit is at least 20 years old and the data plate says it uses r12 refrigerant. It has been maintained by a Budweiser wholesaler and was recently serviced again with new hoses. Co2,
Dual gauge regulator and coupler are included. List price is $400.

The seller has agreed to place a 5 gallon bucket of water in the unit and run it for a few days so that I can use my digital thermometer to see if it will hit 38f. At this time he cannot figure out the serial number, which I wanted to look up to determine age,etc.

Any tips or things I should look for or research prior to looking at this unit? Given the age is $400 reasonable or should I offer less (how much?). Eventually looking to convert the tower to a two tap system and use one or both for homebrewing, so there will be some additional costs down the road.

Here is the link to the add and additional pics the seller sent:
https://rochester.craigslist.org/app/5347137155.html
IMG_3785.jpeg
IMG_6007.JPG

I bought almost the exact same thing a few weeks ago. It came with an empty CO2 tank for $300. The back rail on the top was bent but that was just cosmetic- I wasn't too concerned about it. I saw another for $500. Mine has a Superior Products nameplate on the outside but it's a BeverageAir on the plate. Sorry I don't know how to rotate the pic on the phone app. I had the door off to clean it.

View attachment 1449451885483.jpg

Dave looks nice. How's it working out for you? Did you use anything to clean it? Anything I need to know before looking?

It's working really well. My BM-23 was in a garage before I got it. I disassembled it and cleaned it with PBW. It was gross. I asked the guy how he cleaned the bev line and he said "with more beer". I replaced the line and ended up getting a new tap since it was original and one of the gaskets cracked on me when I took it apart. So, with that, I put in another $48, not including the CO2 refill and a double regulator that didn't come with it.
The only other thing I can think of is this one uses more energy than a typical converted mini fridge, but it's made like a tank and holds 4 corny's. So far, I'm glad I got it, but it's only been a few weeks.

There's a ledge that the CO2 tank can sit on. It also has a hole drilled for an external tank. I'll be able to get you the inside dimensions later tonight.

I had one just like that in the late 90's. As said by everybody else, they are built like tanks, my only concern would be the dwindling supply of r-12, but if you know someone in the a/c business then that's less of an issue. The pictures look nicer than the one I had, I had been kept pushed by the previous owners, but it ran like a top! Sometimes it is hard to beat the older heavy iron.

Hey guys thanks again for the advice. Getting ready to look at this unit soon and in looking at my pic above and saves and other units online it appears that it is missing a blow hose for the air cooled tower. Any idea how much a replacement costs or if it is easy to install? I assume this part is necessary to keep the tower cold and prevent first beer foam. Thanks again

I don't have mine hooked up, and foam isn't too noticeable. One thing I did do is put 1/4" thick pipe insulation inside the tower. I'll take a pic of it for you.

update: I finally got a chance to take a look at this unit this morning. The seller, who seems slightly clueless about the unit, says he has had the unit for a few years and hasn't used it since 2013. Apparently it was owned by Genesee and he claims the co2 tank and beverage lines were "new" when he used it in 2013. He didn't realize he had the thermostat set on 1 instead of 7 (coldest). As a result the bucket of water was only 45f. I turned the knob as far as it would go and the compressor kicked on. I hope to test the temp again tomorrow. Obviously a deal breaker if it doesn't cool lower.

As for the rest of the unit, is in pretty solid shape structurally. The tower can ran the entire time and wasn't super loud. It needs a good cleaning, is missing a thermometer, drip tray tube/collection vessel, and there isn't a functioning light, which I'm not positive these older models had to begin with.

The door seal looked ok but slightly damaged at one of the corners. It may need to be replaced. The regulator is pretty knicked up and will almost certainly need to be replaced, as will the beverage line and likely the co2 tank.

The seller has not every done a refrigerant re-charge and doesn't know if one has been done.

I also noticed that it did have a blow hose for the air cooled tower, but it looked pretty nasty/possibly moldy.

If I go tomorrow and it is <<38f (I assume that 5 gallons of water should be somewhat frozen at the coldest setting), I plan to make an offer. In light of what I stated above, do you think a starting offer of $200 is offensive for a unit listed at $400? I will not spend more than $300 and I will likely need to pump a few hundred more dollars into it in the near future.

$300 max seems about right. You could explain the $100-200 to get working to your expectation

Well Dave he just texted me saying $400 was a firm price,
Even before I had the opportunity to verify it will reach the correct temp after changing the thermostat. Kind of annoyed since the post didn't state that and I expressed all of these concerns today and explained why 45f won't work . I've been in the lookout for a bev air but am not going to over pay for a unit that hasn't been well cared for and from an owner who has no idea what he's selling

I explained everything in person today and again after he texted about being firm on price and he just replied "thanks for shopping". Given this has been posted since dec 5 and how long it took to arrange to see it I don't think he's had much interest.
Oh well I'll keep an eye out

I don't know why these units are so hard to find in decent shape, used.

I lost patience and overpaid for a really beat-up used unit and then spent many many hours and buck$ replacing rebuilding stuff that leaked or was mold-ridden. Replaced air circ fan, door seals, air vent hoses - all very pricey replacement parts. Repaired a leaky drip pan. Spent so much time on that I wished afterward I had just bought the expensive replacement part.

If I had realized how much money and time I would dump into it, I would definitely have ponied up for new and ended up with a really nice unit instead of the beat-up thing I've got. I suspect a new unit wouldn't be as loud either. When this thing runs it's horrendous.

I bought a used silver king commercial under counter fridge used in a Wendys to keep there salads. My unit is 25 years old (R12 refrigerant).I would think Bev air would be considered commercial,thats why I mention it...What I have learned:
Im 90% sure you cant get R12 anymore so if it needs a recharge,its garbage
Mine wasn't getting as cold as I would have liked but a Ranco temp controller fixed that and will get it as cold as I want.
Mine is loud.
Definetly made before energy efficiency made a difference. Mine cost $15 a month@ .20 KHW.Well worth it for the money I save making/buying kegs
I bought mine for $175 for just the fridge.
In my opinion $400 is way to much for a 20 year old unit..I thought people were buying kegerators from HD or Costco recently for like $175 brand new??I needed an undercounter fridge,and they aint cheap, for my bar or I just would have bought one of those

After reading all the OP's posts and concerns I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole.You can buy a new unit under warrenty,more energy efficient,and most definitely quieter for the same or less money.You yourself said you need a new reg,tank hoses..almost everything...Your buying a 20 year,most likely way older fridge for $400...And that's crazy.Where were you 25 years ago...That's how long this things been around

Thanks guys you have validated my concerns fully. I was 8 years old 25 years ago haha. I wouldn't overpay for a beat up Cadillac so why do it for this?

Hey guys by total chance a guy in my local beer group just posted this old bev air the other day and I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. Any idea if this style of bm-23 is older or newer than the wood grain? He's asking $75 obo (can be cash, beer trade or a combo) and will deliver to my place. He says he doesn't like drinking the same beer for weeks on end so just wants it to be put to good use. He has no idea exactly how old the unit is but Tap tower, co2 tank, and regulator are all new within the last year or so (no idea if the tower is chrome or stainless or brand regulator) and he uses the fridge to store beer currently so at least it's actually used. Even if I spend the $75 and it dies in a year I'll have some parts. He mentioned the faucet pictured in the last pic can be used to convert to a dual tower. Not sure how to do that.

http://i.imgur.com/Gh2VuXU.png
http://i.imgur.com/YztS1EY.png

http://i.imgur.com/ueHdfFR.png
http://i.imgur.com/uN3DyYG.png

If it runs and cools ok, $75 should be good. You could try a beer swap and a lower price, if he's up for it. I like my bm-23, even with the r-12 and higher energy cost. And if it dies, you still have the CO2 tank and regulator, spare taps, tower and shanks.

Ended up trading some beer for it straight up. He's delivering it to me tomorrow. 5 gallon bucket hit 37f at about 6 setting or so. Unit ran well with tower fan running continuously and not super loud. Door seal likely needs to be replaced and it's missing the air hose for the tower chiller and line for the drip tray and waste container. Anyone know where to get these replacement parts?

Co2 tank, tower and coupler are virtually new, as is the dual gauge tap rite regulator. Pretty happy with the find overall.

Plan to paint it and probably buy new beverage line. Any idea what length may be best?

Well it's a done deal I traded about $60 of beer for it and he hand delivered it today. Already ordered a new door gasket, drip tray kit, and air supply hose/attachments for it from the local keg supply store.

Only thing I'm struggling with so far is trying to remove the drip pan without damaging it so I can soak in pbw and try to clear the clogged drain hole. Also, what should I use to remove
The old door gasket and to apply the new one? Will the new seal include self adhesive ?

Any suggestions for type of paint for this? Not a big DIY guy.

That's a great deal.
My door gasket wasn't held in with anything. I was able to just peel it out of the channel it sits in. Try cleaning it with PBW before replacing it, if there aren't any tears. Mine shined up like new. My drain has a 1/2 inch Allen on top that unscrews. I couldn't get the drip pan out. Used a toothbrush and PBW. Not sure on paint. I left mine with the fake woodgrain.

Hi Dave quick question for you. I cleaned everything really well (didn't mess with the gasket yet or air supply fan since I'm waiting on a part that won't be in till later this week) and turned in the unit about 45 mins ago at setting 5.5-6. Placed a bucket of h20 in. When I first plugged in the unit it was noticeably running. Just came to check on it and it is now really quiet but nowhere near temp. Is it normal for these units to run loud and first and then go quiet until it reaches target temp or does
Yours run constantly loud?
Just curious

I think mine did about the same thing when I first started it up. Pretty quiet with just the fan, but when the compressor kicks in all the streetlights dim.

It's all good Dave. Just checked the temp of 5 gallons of water at 645am (8 hours after placing the bucket in the unit and turning it on) and it is at a near perfect 37.5f! Runs like a top and it quieter than I expected. Now I just need to let it go and dial in on that 38-40f range. Not sure if I should still mess with replacing the door seal since it's reaching temp, although I know the door gasket could be better for sure.

Back