Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a still pining Floyd fan that is so tempting.
Unfortunately, they're in Boston on October 6th, while I'll be down in NJ babysitting grandkids while Son #1 and DIL #1 are in Scotland on a Scotch drinker's tour.

Irony. It's friggin' everywhere...

Cheers! ;)

This is a great version of one of my favorites from Floyd. It is actually a fan edit and is quite good!

Last edited:
That's fantastic. Roger makes an appearance but just kind of stands around!?! Well whatever!

It is actually two separate performances edited together... One with Roger Waters and Eddie Vedder at a charity show, the other with David Bowie and David Gilmore. Phenomenal job cutting that together!

My daughter is learning to embroider, and Dad gets the benefits.
shirt.jpg

Well, I'm listening to music and thought I'd lay down my first track in the DRAMM thread here....

Echoes, by far. Then possibly Learning to Fly off of the Momentary Lapse of Reason LP. That whole album is fantastic.

Finally, but probably not last, is the Clare Torry vocal on Great Gig in the Sky off DSOTM. Man, that that chick had lungs.
comfortably numb has been my favorite Pink Floyd song. then again The Wall is too...if ya dont eat yer meat, ya cant have any pudding, how can you have any pudding if ya dont eat yer meat???

Have been pinned in my listening room with PF the last hour or so. It's just too many songs that are good to pick a favourite, but right now "Hey You" is playing and before that "Run Like Hell".

I hate to go "audiophile" on you guys but not only is the musical performace legendary, but it is *exceptionally* well mastered as well (as all PF releases).

This is how all music should be mastered. It is redicilous that music recorded over 30 years ago completely obliterates any recently produced recordings when it comes to cheer sound quality. I've been playing at insane levels and it just does not sound bad.

It just sounds like "turn me up" and, because the neighbours where banging the walls for some reason I just turned it up until the clipping indicators on my amps started to flash. :)

H
yours must go up to 11

OK, follow this. I'm sorta making up a story here, but it makes sense.

Shine You Diamond (S-Y-D). Hmmm... the name of the song spells out Syds name. Sorta. Cooincidence? It's similar to the Beatle's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (LSD), from Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Similar tricky use of letters, right?

Syd wrote almost all of PF's first album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which was recorded in Studio 3 at Abbey Road Studios, and produced by former Beatles engineer Norman Smith. At the exact same time that engineer Smith was creating this PF album, the Beatles were in Studio 2 recording songs for... yep, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Cooincidence? Hmmm...
I love this thread. I think you are on to something. Cool fact about recording and interesting to be reminded how long they have been at it. Also, anything abbey road I love because my beloved speakers were there then and now. Have tried to get through from beginning but it was late last night. Might have already commented back. My brother had the album nice pair. It is piper and saucerful Iirc. Super psychedelic. Not even sure how closely it relates to later albums. In college I tried spinning techno. I would layer piper over jungle techno. People would always come up and look to see what it was.

Hadn't heard all of echoes yet, but learning to fly is one of my favorites. I loved the wall! I havent heard a lot of their albums straight through. I like the song empty spaces leading into, is it young lust. I ran into a wall tour video of young lust. Awesome. What a band. Pigs, time, division bell, turning away, sure. Love so much of their music. Man I would like a few minutes on Gilmoures touring rig.

I love this thread. I think you are on to something. Cool fact about recording and interesting to be reminded how long they have been at it. Also, anything abbey road I love because my beloved speakers were there then and now. Have tried to get through from beginning but it was late last night. Might have already commented back. My brother had the album nice pair. It is piper and saucerful Iirc. Super psychedelic. Not even sure how closely it relates to later albums. In college I tried spinning techno. I would layer piper over jungle techno. People would always come up and look to see what it was.

Hadn't heard all of echoes yet, but learning to fly is one of my favorites. I loved the wall! I havent heard a lot of their albums straight through. I like the song empty spaces leading into, is it young lust. I ran into a wall tour video of young lust. Awesome. What a band. Pigs, time, division bell, turning away, sure. Love so much of their music. Man I would like a few minutes on Gilmoures touring rig.

I always love the transition from Empty Spaces -> Young Lust too!

There is no 'best', but since I didn't see via searching thread so far, and to encourage discovery among us fools, their contribution to the Zabriskie Point Soundtrack, which coupled with Jerry Garcia and a smattering of other artists, is one of the best soundtracks of all time.

I used to think Miley Cyrus was a big joke. Then I heard her do Jeff Buckley Lilac Wine and Dolly Parton Jolene. Now I'm a believer!

This, from SNL a couple of days ago.

I just watched this before checking in. It was really good. Then when I hit New Posts this thread popped up. When a Floyd song comes on the radio in the car, the dial stops and the song plays to the end. So I read through the whole thread, and I knew that the latest post(s) was going to be about Miley Cyrus. That song has a special remembrance for me, Pink Floyd is the soundtrack of my life. The jump start of Run Like Hell, the wind-like movement of One of These Days, the helicopter in Another Brick in the Wall are all bits of electricity that fire the synapses in different ways. So many great songs, I don't think anyone mentioned Coming Back to Life, "...I knew the moment had arrived For killing the past and coming back to life..." Gilmour's guitar right after that line is fantastic.

Saw them in '87, '88, '94. Saw Gilmour from the floor in Chicago too, outstanding show (security was ridiculous though). Saw Waters from the front row in Philly, and in DC, and out on Long Island at Sag Harbor. I would love to see both again and Nick Mason too.

"Come at the end of the shift we'll go and get pissed."

Never got to see them live, but did get to see The Wall laser show way back in the 80's when laser shows were still cool. I had the cassette tape way back when, and Run Like Hell was my go-to for when I needed motivation to get moving. And Mother is very creepy but intriguing in a Norman Bates-sort of way, if you really listen to the lyrics. Also fun to sing in the car and creep out people next to me.

Working in the wood shop today and Echos comes up on shuffle. What a good long woodworking song. This led to a playlist of PF by time starting w/ the longest and working my way down. Atom heart mother suite, Echos, Dogs, Crazy Diamond .......
Got a lot of work done.

|How did I never see this thread before this?
But, man, there ain't no best - there's way too many to choose from.
Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Bike, |Astronomy Domine, Interstellar |Overdrive, Set the |Controls for the HEart of the Sun, Saucerful of Secrets, the whole Animals album, Echoes, Shine on, DSOTM, Sorrow, Learning to Fly, High Hopes... I can still go on.

There are bigger and more glorious songs in their repertoire, but I'm sticking with "On the Turning Away" as the most meaningful to me.
And it still has a killer guitar solo :D

Cheers!

It's a GREAT song. On one of their best albums (I don't think it's highly regarded because it's after Waters left). I agree the album isn't the concept album of DSOTM and The Wall, but the music and lyrics were still dynamite.

saw the divison bell tour in 94 in Rotterdam. Took a girl who had never really heard of them... she cried on/off thru the whole show. she was blown away! good times... if you haven't found them already, these guys: The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Celebrating Pink Floyd Since 1988 | Aussie Floyd | TAPFS | The World's Biggest Pink Floyd Tribute Act and these guys: Brit Floyd | The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Tribute Show are both fantastic. put on really good shows!
Had tickets to Brit Floyd for my birthday earlier this month, show was cancelled/to be rescheduled :(

Listening to a bootleg of an August 1980 performance of The Wall as I came across this thread... I'm hard pressed to pick one favorite, but Comfortably Numb is, I think, my all-time favorite song, period.
In '94 when they played that song, man I was glad I was there, in the New Orleans Superdome (seats about 75K), they had this huge mirror ball that rose up from the back of the floor seats and then opened like a hug flower and when the lights hit it, the entire arena felt like it shrank. We were wall to wall, floor to ceiling, moving reflections of light. Seeing the Pulse video of it on the web is nothing like seeing that live.

saw the divison bell tour in 94 in Rotterdam. Took a girl who had never really heard of them... she cried on/off thru the whole show. she was blown away! good times... if you haven't found them already, these guys: The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Celebrating Pink Floyd Since 1988 | Aussie Floyd | TAPFS | The World's Biggest Pink Floyd Tribute Act and these guys: Brit Floyd | The World's Greatest Pink Floyd Tribute Show are both fantastic. put on really good shows!
I've seen |Brit and Aussie Floyd shows - and they're good, but my complaint is that they are note-for-note like the albums. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I personally like when a band will extend out a bit. There's one that I like a lot, I;ve seen them a ton of times, The Machine - Pink Floyd Tribute. I like these guys because they will stretch out, and go into jams like PF did early on. They aren't afraid to experiment - playing with orchestras or all-acoustic shows.
They tend to play mostly east coast of the US, though.

I've seen |Brit and Aussie Floyd shows - and they're good, but my complaint is that they are note-for-note like the albums. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I personally like when a band will extend out a bit. There's one that I like a lot, I;ve seen them a ton of times, The Machine - Pink Floyd Tribute. I like these guys because they will stretch out, and go into jams like PF did early on. They aren't afraid to experiment - playing with orchestras or all-acoustic shows.
They tend to play mostly east coast of the US, though.

Yep. I saw Aussie and it was EXACT. And you if you're a floyd fan, you know every note. I loooooooved it though.

Regrettably, I have never attended any real PF or ersatz PF concerts, one of the many failings in my life. Then again, I went to a Who concert in Seattle and slept through nearly all of it - there were so many delays before the concert actually started my group was totally alcohol-bombed into oblivion - so maybe I wasn't qualified...

Yep. I saw Aussie and it was EXACT. And you if you're a floyd fan, you know every note. I loooooooved it though.
Exactly that. Like I said, they're good, really good, but when I see a band live, I like seeing and hearing something that makes it clear that they're not just miming to the album - I want to hear the solos go somewhere else, hear them extend that middle-8, play around with arrangements sometimes.
Aussie Floyd also has a really good stage setup and props going along with, and Brit ||Floyd has one of the origional pigs from One of These Days.

Exactly that. Like I said, they're good, really good, but when I see a band live, I like seeing and hearing something that makes it clear that they're not just miming to the album - I want to hear the solos go somewhere else, hear them extend that middle-8, play around with arrangements sometimes.
Aussie Floyd also has a really good stage setup and props going along with, and Brit ||Floyd has one of the origional pigs from One of These Days.
Hmmm maybe it was Brit. They had floating pigs. I swear I wasn’t stoned!

Latest posts

Back