Best Pink Floyd Song

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was fortunate to see the "Animals" tour in Chicago at Soldiers Field. They had a giant pig floating over the Stadium. What a great memory!

Beer, sex and Pink Floyd music....when they are good, they are really good, but when they are *BAD*....they're still pretty good :mug:

I got Gilmour tickets for Chicago in April...can't wait.

I was fortunate to see the "Animals" tour in Chicago at Soldiers Field. They had a giant pig floating over the Stadium. What a great memory!

I saw this show in Baton Rouge (forget the date) and was blown away. Have always been a huge PF fan and have seen them again in the mid 90's.

Favorite song? Many of them but I do like Comfortably Numb and just about all of The Wall.

Is this a coincidence or are you two coordinating? Twinkies?

2016-10-27_203939.jpg

Okay, I'm going to dare to go with some very unconventional picks here: a few of my favorite Floyd songs are The Hero's Return, Not Now John and Two Suns in the Sunset on "The Final Cut". I feel that record is by far one of the best albums ever made. It is very dark and quiet, and covers the struggles of war from the World War II era all the up to a nuclear apocalypse. It also tells the backstory of the abusive schoolteacher from The Wall.

Other than that I'll have to go with "Pigs on the Wing", the special 8-track cut which includes the solo that was cut out and divided for the record.

Not sure about any one song. But Animals is my favorite Album as a whole. Followed by Wish you were here.

DSoTM is greattoo but got burnt out on it in High School

Listened to The Pulse live album (Most of Disc 2) last night while pulling weeds and harvesting Hops Ryhzomes. I honestly can't pick any one song as a favorite.

But this thread reminds me to see if I can get Gilmore or Waters solo stuff online to listen to today.

Listened to The Pulse live album (Most of Disc 2) last night while pulling weeds and harvesting Hops Ryhzomes. I honestly can't pick any one song as a favorite.

But this thread reminds me to see if I can get Gilmore or Waters solo stuff online to listen to today.

Rogers Water's Amused to Death is really good. Pretty much what you'd expect.

Other than that I'll have to go with "Pigs on the Wing", the special 8-track cut which includes the solo that was cut out and divided for the record.

We had some discussion about that cut (post #244) and I believe the solo was added to the song some time after the album was cut, to balance the time requirements and negotiate the divided nature of 8 track design.

Talk among yourselves.

We had some discussion about that cut (post #244) and I believe the solo was added to the song some time after the album was cut, to balance the time requirements and negotiate the divided nature of 8 track design.

Talk among yourselves.

Now that you mention it I believe that's correct. Still one of my favorites though. I have to ask, am I the only Pink Floyd fan who will actually pull for the Final Cut and regard it was the best? And for those of you who want to be picky and call it a Roger Waters album, I feel I should inform you that most of Pink Floyd's best material was primarily written by Waters anyway. He wrote the lion's share of Animals, Wish You Were Hear, The Wall, DSotM and contributed pretty equally to their earlier material.

Just listened to Meddle this weekend. have had this one for years but have not given it much thought. Some very good stuff on there that I had forgotten about.

Now that you mention it I believe that's correct. Still one of my favorites though. I have to ask, am I the only Pink Floyd fan who will actually pull for the Final Cut and regard it was the best? And for those of you who want to be picky and call it a Roger Waters album, I feel I should inform you that most of Pink Floyd's best material was primarily written by Waters anyway. He wrote the lion's share of Animals, Wish You Were Hear, The Wall, DSotM and contributed pretty equally to their earlier material.

Its all right, and defiantly Waters, but Animals, Wall and DSOTM are leaders in my book.

I've played the **** out of that kit. Love it - even at the pre-release price (ouchie).
PF dominates my office playlist.

fwiw, Waters has a new release coming this summer. Bits have been put out there already.
From all appearances he's not holding back...
61WtG%2BQiWxL._SS500.jpg

Cheers!

Can't never hear this enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
btw...does anyone know of a way to rip music off the "Rattle" Blu-ray disc?
Short of an analog rip?
I would love to add the session stuff to the media library in my truck (128GB SD card plugged into the head unit - it's so cool - my entire library rides with me :D)

Anyway...I run PowerDVD on my workstation and it plays the Blu-Ray great but doesn't seem to offer any way to crank out some mp3 tracks...

Cheers!

Shameless Endless River plug...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezc4HdLGxg4[/ame]

You will need a software that can extract the audio files from the Blu-Ray. Google Extract Audio Blu-Ray. I think Doom9.org used to have various DVD stuff, and I think they have Blu-Ray compatible software now as well.

You will need a software that can extract the audio files from the Blu-Ray. Google Extract Audio Blu-Ray. I think Doom9.org used to have various DVD stuff, and I think they have Blu-Ray compatible software now as well.

The encryption and protection schemes on blurays change frequently, especially for new releases. Once you get past that, there are lots of utilities on doom9 that will exttract the media.

AnyDVD HD is the best one by far to get past the disc security, but it is $$. Works though.

The encryption and protection schemes on blurays change frequently, especially for new releases. Once you get past that, there are lots of utilities on doom9 that will exttract the media.

AnyDVD HD is the best one by far to get past the disc security, but it is $$. Works though.

I bought the lifetime update and have been using AnyDVD for quite a number of years (10??), but not much recently so I can't say if it works on BlueRay. The last thing I used it for was to extract the audio tracks from the PULSE DVD.

The first recorded music I bought out of Navy boot camp was Meddle and a cheap cassette player. As soon as I could I bought a high end cassette player and sony headphones. It was amazing....and Echos is still my favorite. I still have that cassette stashed away with the rest of the collection.

I use Audacity for capturing audio tracks, and being the cheapskate (and non-pirating..) have transferred many of those cassettes to mp3. Not the best sound quality, but the software does an amazing job of removing hiss.

Saw Aussie Floyd tonight. Awesome.

I'm pretty sure that EVERY concert I've ever been to, I was ready to run at 2 hrs. Ovation.... uh, alrighty, if we must. But this PF cover band was really good, and I could have sat there mesmerized all day. 2nd song was Shine On and it was just fantastic. I think I got goose pimples.

They had 3 gals doing background vocals, and they KILLED Great Gig in the Sky. Their Pigs was better than Floyd. Really, it was fantastic.

Back