Best Honey to use brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I'm doing a Hop Slam clone next weekend and I need about 2 lbs of honey. I was wondering if anyone had any preference on a brand for honey to use when brewing.

use a good local honey, preferably from the beekeeper himself.

Avoid any honey with unknown origins, they tend to be mostly sugarwater with honeyflavour.

ps. also avoid "manuka" honey, most of what is sold is fake and overprized.

+1^

Add the honey after primary fermentation has about ended. It will stir the fermentation up again but will leave a bit more flavor as not as much of the aromatics are being stripped out with the primary CO2 production. Best is to add the honey in 2 or 3 smaller doses a few days apart. You could thin the honey down a bit with some boiling water for easier mixing into the beer. To compensate for the bit of extra water added brew at a slightly higher gravity and IBU.

You may want to use a secondary when adding the honey, but it's not really needed. Dry hop after the last honey addition and cold crashing, or in the keg.

Even then, you may have a hard time finding honey flavor in the end. You could include some Honey Malt in the grist to increase the honey experience, 8 oz should be enough.

As mentioned, I would go with something local. I'd also be sure the bring some finished beers back to the beekeeper.

+1^

Add the honey after primary fermentation has about ended. It will stir the fermentation up again but will leave a bit more flavor as not as much of the aromatics are being stripped out with the primary CO2 production. Best is to add the honey in 2 or 3 smaller doses a few days apart. You could thin the honey down a bit with some boiling water for easier mixing into the beer. To compensate for the bit of extra water added brew at a slightly higher gravity and IBU.

You may want to use a secondary when adding the honey, but it's not really needed. Dry hop after the last honey addition and cold crashing, or in the keg.

Even then, you may have a hard time finding honey flavor in the end. You could include some Honey Malt in the grist to increase the honey experience, 8 oz should be enough.

Is sanitizing by boiling the honey necessary? I know you said boil some water with the honey to thin it out, but would I be safe just adding the honey straight to the fermenter? I may have to try this, cuz my honey wheat ale had very little honey flavor (added the honey to the end of the boil)

I will add that most honey unless specified on the packaging is usually a mix of american and argentinian varieties. so that is why you see the honey bear as a golden color. Up here in the upper midwest we have several varieties. clover and alfalfa are almost clear. where as the sunflower and canola are brown to dark yellow respectfully.

As far as when to add the honey I have always heard to add it at the end of fermentation to receive the most aromatics. I have no solid previous experiments on this myself.

As far as boiling i am on the side that honey should never be boiled. for one it is a natural antiseptic and will last years and years and will never go bad. 2) I feel once you have a fermentation pool of what ever yeast or organism you want established putting something else fermentable in that is not "rotten" ...the dominating organism will take hold.

sorry for the lengthy post. as others said try to find a local beekeeper.

Local honey supply from beekeeper - agree (if you were in my area, I'd be knocking on your door for a sale)

Add after primary is complete or nearly complete - agree

But honey doesn't spoil due to the low moisture content preventing yeast and bacteria from propagating; not by killing them. Once diluted they will propagate and ferment (thus the warning labels for infants required on packaging from large scale honey producers). However I do agree there's no reason to boil it due to adding it to alcohol already being present. Save the aromatics and only warm enough for easy mixing.

Always local!

I'm lucky here that Kyrgyzstan is known for its honey. I've brewed a few beers with the local honey, always using a different type, and it's always turned out excellent.

+1 to the idea to bring the beekeeper some beer.

Thanks all for the input! I'll definitely need to find a local beekeeper.

One more question on the honey add, since I'm looking for a very subtle honey flavor, do you think I should use less honey if I add it after fermentation? Right now the recipe I'm loosely following calls for 2# for a 5 gallon batch.

Back