Best bourbon for beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robqualls

Reaction score
Ok, so this might sound weird. I hate bourbon. I really do. But i love bourbon barrel aged beer. weird, i know. Anyways, i brewed a pretty hefty imperial stout (actually, more of a imperial brown) that i want to throw in 2ndary. My question, what is your favorite bourbon to use for soaking the oak chips? My LHBS told me the best way to find out is to try a bunch, but i really don't like the harshness of straight bourbon. This is totally an experimental batch. I call it more of an inventory cleaner (had a bunch of hops that i needed to use). Curious to see your opinions.

Thanks!

I really, really, love Elijah Craig 12... Me personally I feel it is smoother than Jack (I like Jack too BTW) and has a HUGE caramel vanilla flavor without being too sweet. I could drink that stuff all day long (figuratively speaking...)

Ohh that does sound tempting. I think it would pair well with the imperial brownish/stout thing i have going on. Appreciate the feedback!

Old charter 10 year if you can find it is my favorite sipping bourbon. But all bourbon stouts I have tried have had Makers Mark in them. I have one in the plans with Old Charter.

Bulleit makes a really nice bourbon aged beer. I also have used Dewars scotch, which i couldn't drink as scotch, but made a nice scotch oaked wee heavy.

I made my first Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale with Makers Mark soaked chips, but nothing beats the batch that I aged in a used (one time) whiskey barrel, just flat out 100% better!

Thanks for all the replies guys. You know, I never even thought about looking for that information (which barrels my favs use). Great idea!

You might look to see if any are distilled or blended on your area. Using those would add a little local flair to your brew. I have used Makers Mark before with good results. Much more expensive than that and I would prefer to drink it straight ;-)

Whenever I get a chance to make a bourbon stout, I'm going to use some bourbon I made.
I took everclear, added enough distilled water until it was 70 proof or so, then aged it on applewood chips and added a vial of bourbon essence from my LHBS. I put it in a decanter with 2 Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans and its been aging probably 6 months total.

I have two suggestions...Old Forester or Rebel Yell. These are, IMO the best bourbons you can get at a low price. I don't think it would be worth buying the best of the best just to put it in beer.

Makers mark. Makers 46 if you want a slightly sweeter flavor. I've had good results with both.

For imparting flavor into my beer I really like Jim Beam Devil's Cut, it provides a solid bourbon-y (vanilla/toffee/heat/spice) profile.

I guess it depends upon what you want. If you want a big, chunky, slightly sweet kind of addition with huge vanilla and caramel/toffee (which sounds pretty good with a stout, no?), I go Knob Creek. It has all those qualities in spades.

If you want a spicy, oaky, in your face kind of bourbon addition, I'd look into Wild Turkey 101 or Elijah Craig 12 year.

Or, maybe you were looking for something else entirely. Don't count out a good rye whiskey for an interesting pairing with stouts. I always add rye malt to my stouts, and love the results.

Back