Benefits of Liquid vs Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does temperature affect the yeast flavor profile? Is there a common trend (e.g. warmer=more flavor) or does it depend on each yeast strain?

In general, higher temperatures tend to produce more esters and fusel alcohols.

Last edited:
Intuitively, I would agree. I have yet to run this experiment for myself. How does temperature affect the yeast flavor profile? Is there a common trend (e.g. warmer=more flavor) or does it depend on each yeast strain?

It is yeast strain dependent but a general rule of thumb is warmer = more fruity esters. In hoppy beers, cooler ferments tend to hold on to more hop aroma and limit fusel alcohol production. In a few experiments I've performed, five degrees F is enough to make two different beers.

What Vikeman said basically.

Intuitively, I would agree. I have yet to run this experiment for myself. How does temperature affect the yeast flavor profile? Is there a common trend (e.g. warmer=more flavor) or does it depend on each yeast strain?

It does depend very much on the particular strain. People say the yeast produces more flavors at higher temperatures, but in many cases, the opposite is true also -- lower temperatures can induce stresses in the yeast that induce more esters, also sulfur, diacetyl, etc. I've also found several yeasts to perform extremely cleanly at room temperature or above. So.... I'd hate to generalize. It really is specific to the yeast strain and particular parameters of the batch.

I'm not a dry yeast hater but the strains I tend to buy aren't available dry or I trust the labs I've bought to not venture out of the liquid strains I know do what I need. The world of dry yeast is larger than it used to be and I wouldn't discourage anybody from buying good dry yeast. I'm a fan of repitching so I keep several strains in liquid form in the fridge so even my dry yeast purchases have become liquid yeast cultures.

The big issue in forums is that people always tries to justify their expensive equipament and time consuming process saying that anything else is garbage.

Liquid yeast is just incomparable in variety.

But you need to make a starter (some people like the process), have shorter shelf live (if you're near a big distributor, isn't a real problem), is more expensive (you could save from previous batch) and completely out of range for some locations (no solution here).

That's it.

I recently tried a dry yeast called Verdant for a bitter and I wound up with an infection that carried over for a few beers. I can’t say 100% it was just the yeast but after I cleaned everything up with iodophor I brewed another bitter with Pub and had zero issues. I’m still not a fan of dry yeast.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence on this site of people having success with Verdant. I'd put that low on the list of causes of an infection unless the package was breached. In any event I'd call it to the attention of Lallemand in case they have a batch with issues.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence on this site of people having success with Verdant. I'd put that low on the list of causes of an infection unless the package was breached. In any event I'd call it to the attention of Lallemand in case they have a batch with issues.
It came highly recommended by guys in one of the long British ale discussions. It was my first time using it and first time using dry yeast for beer in a long time. I use dry yeast for mead and the occasional wine kit. I didn’t do anything different with Verdant than I did with Pub. I have another pack to use. I bought them together so they may be from the same batch. I also have a dry London Ale to try at some point.

It came highly recommended by guys in one of the long British ale discussions. It was my first time using it and first time using dry yeast for beer in a long time. I use dry yeast for mead and the occasional wine kit. I didn’t do anything different with Verdant than I did with Pub. I have another pack to use. I bought them together so they may be from the same batch. I also have a dry London Ale to try at some point.
Yea definitely if you have a pack from the same lot I'd get in touch with Lallemand. FWIW I just used Verdant based on the same British Ale discussions and was very happy with the results.

Yea definitely if you have a pack from the same lot I'd get in touch with Lallemand. FWIW I just used Verdant based on the same British Ale discussions and was very happy with the results.
I've also used it so many times.... Always reliable, there must have been something wrong with these packages or something else. My bet is, it was something else.

Dry yeasts will get you into the ballpark for many styles, some even excel. Want a neutral yeast that lets the other ingredients do the talking? US-05 or Notty will fit the bill. But want to brew a true-to-form Kolsch? K-97 may be OK, but nothing's going to beat WY2565 or WLP029.

Just gonna jump in here and say the light white wine, or vinous esters, from GigaYeast 021, makes the perfect Kolsch.
Keep in mind that this is just one person's opinion, YMMV, it's a matter of taste (for instance I hate Lima beans but that's another story kids).

Just gonna jump in here and say the light white wine, or vinous esters, from GigaYeast 021, makes the perfect Kolsch.
Keep in mind that this is just one person's opinion, YMMV, it's a matter of taste (for instance I hate Lima beans but that's another story kids).
Used to pay my sister to eat my lima beans - don't touch them at alll

To add a little more to this thread, one thing I share with everyone is to keep a neutral dry yeast handy in case something happens during the brew day or fermenting and your main yeast doesn't work. I keep a couple packets in the fridge just in case. I date them and rotate them out so I have fresh stuff handy should I need it. Also for the Kolsch brewers the Wyeast Private Collection, 2575 has great results. It's available now and comes out every three years or so. Brewing a Kolsch with this yeast and Schill Kolsch grain is my brewery favorite.

Back