Belgian fermentation stuck.. and ageneral question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohof2

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian with o.g of 1.096 it gone down to 1.02 and been stuck there for four days. I was expecting 1.016. and used wlp 550 of white labs.

and generally how many points above the expected FG is still ok by your opinion?

How long for the total fermentation? I don't have a lot of experience with WL550, but a lot of the belg. strains seem to hit a slow down process at 1.02-1.03 and then take weeks to move from there. Heat tends to help quite a bit, remember those strains are used to the classic farmhouse environment where temp swings may be 30 degrees over a 24hr period.

.004 points is nothing, especially on a beer that big. I'd say you had a pretty good fermentation. Let it sit for a while (these tend to do a little better with age) then bottle or keg it. It's definitely not worth the trouble or risk of ruining a batch over that small of a point change.

Thanks
I will wait another week or so and then bottle and condition..

the total fermentation time until now is a bit more than three weeks.
the temperature the fermentaion took place in was 66 for two weeks and than raised to 70 for another week. I will raise it to 75 for the remaining week.

Latest posts

Back