Belgian ales, hop suggestions, Willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
This summer I will be primarily brewing Belgian ales (i've never brewed a Belgian before) because of the higher ambient temp of the room I ferment my ales. I'd rather not buy more hops if I don't have to. On hand I have Cascade, Simcoe, Citra, Willamette, Centennial. Can I make good Belgian ales with Willamette or is that just out of character? Will Willamette be similar to Styrian Goldings since they're both Fuggle derivatives?

Out of the hops you have Willamette will probably be the most appropriate for Belgians. It's a fairly neutral hop and Belgian beers don't usually require too much hop flavor. The other hops you have are all quite distinctly flavored. What Belgian styles were you looking to brew?

Well I figured the others wouldn't work unless I did a Belgian IPA. I'm looking to do a golden strong or a tripel. Something on the light color side.

I'm contemplating just buying a pound of U.S. Goldings, Do you think that would work better?. That way after the summer I can have some for some English ales. I only want to buy in bulk and I don't want a pound of Styrians or Saaz.

Well I figured the others wouldn't work unless I did a Belgian IPA. I'm looking to do a golden strong or a tripel. Something on the light color side.

I'm contemplating just buying a pound of U.S. Goldings. That way after the summer I can have some for some English ales. I only want to buy in bulk and I don't want a pound of Styrians or Saaz.

Goldings is a good choice if you plan on brewing British ales. It also goes good in American Golden Ale. It can be used in a wide variety of beer.

The Saaz can be used for a wide variety of beer also. One of the best Belgian Tripel IPAs I've had (La Chouffe) has Saaz, Amarillo and Tomahawk.

There is a a lot of room to experiment.

Good to know. Having never brewed a Belgian, I don't know how much hops can affect the beer. I know it is primarily about the yeast and fermentation. Basically just wanted to throw the idea of Willamette out there and see if I heard any objections that it'd be horribly out of place.

For bittering, IMO, the hop variety really isn't all that important. I have used summit, willamete for bittering my belgian beers with no problems at all. For arroma you want to lean more towards the less aggresive side. I have used willamete extensively, in addition to argentine cascade which works well for a 1 minute addition for aroma too.

I rarely have noble or golding hops on hand...so I work with what I have.

I am actually thinking about making a belgian IPA, basically a tripel recipe with some added caremel malts, that uses nothing but chinook hops up to about 70 IBU....it will either be genius or undrinkable.

Willamettes may not give you a beer that tastes just like the Belgians in the store, but that doesn't mean they can't make for good hops in a Belgian. I also suggest you give it a try. They won't have the spiciness some (repeat: some) hops used in Belgians have, but then Belgian ales tend to use hops lightly anyway.

Back