Beer + Soda Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaBang

Reaction score
While I have brewed my own beer, I live in an apartment which has space and regulatory restriction (no secondary fridges permitted). But because I enjoy beer and soda, I was hoping to make a set-up where I could maintain the carbonization level of the beer (Buy Growler, charge with CO2 cartridge to remove air, keep in fridge for 1-2 weeks) and carbonize my own water (Much like a Sodastream does).

Right now, I have pre-ordered a Drink Tank w/ Keg setup (Kickstarter project that is finally shipping to backers who waited for Stainless Steel tops). This set-up uses CO2-cartriages and seems to fit my beer needs. From what I understand, it can hold carbonization for 1-2 week (not as good as a keg).

But then I started to read how people have either "hacked" their Sodastream machines and/or bypass them altogether. One website (http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system) shows a simple set-up that I am tempted to try. Thing is, I don't want to use flimsy 2L soda bottles and it would be nice to use a similar set-up for my grower.

Here's the thing... I realize there are some serious safety concerns with doing this. For instance, regulators can be inaccurate and a secondary release valve is probably a smart idea. Furthermore, I want to charge something that is more sturdy/stronger than a regular plastic bottle... which means it could turn into a projectile/bomb.

The other option is using small kegs, which could fit in my fridge. Thing is, I would need to "charge" them out of the fridge (because of space) and I'm not sure how well tapped kegs hold pressure (without a CO2 tank that is). Furthermore, a mini-keg for water and another for beer seems like a lot of space (not considering a CO2 tank and regulator if I did keep it in my fridge).

Another option is to charge the Drink Tank like normal... and simply buy a sodastream with a universal CO2 adapter (so I don't have to pay the cost for refills). I really don't understand how this is safer than some CO2-tank+regulator setup... but some post on reddit suggests it is.

Thanks for any help/suggestions =)

Back