Beer Bug problems? Are they out of business?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearDaddys

Reaction score
Curious if any of you know what's going on with the Beer Bug folks.. I bought one (Prob a mistake) a while back and I am trying to get it set up.. I can't get it to perform a test, the support email on their website is bouncing back, and the support page on their website is broken... ugh..

Thanks..Read the whole thread.. looks like there are some issues, but no mention about them being in business or not.. strange to be getting bounced emails from them..

They actually just got bought out by another company and I think they are going through a bit of a reorganization now. Not sure how long they will be in limbo, but hopefully not long.

I see no mention of the beer bug on thier site so it doesnt look at first glance anyway, that they are going to support them.... From what I remember those things werent cheap either with prices all over the place depending on what month you bought one..

I see no mention of the beer bug on thier site so it doesnt look at first glance anyway, that they are going to support them.... From what I remember those things werent cheap either with prices all over the place depending on what month you bought one..

They are definitely distancing themselves from the beerbug name, but the old units work (and by that I mean it actually worked) with BrewPerfect. I don't think the profiles carried over, so if anyone is reading this thread and deciding to dig out their beerbug, you have to create a new one and register the beerbug again.

They are definitely distancing themselves from the beerbug name, but the old units work (and by that I mean it actually worked) with BrewPerfect. I don't think the profiles carried over, so if anyone is reading this thread and deciding to dig out their beerbug, you have to create a new one and register the beerbug again.

I had to create a new profile, but then as soon as I created it, my existing beer bug was linked to it. So I guess maybe they still had that info - tied through email address, I assume?

why do you need to register at all? is this device tied to some sort of online license/software you have to use to be able to use them? if so thats pretty crappy for a piece of hardware such as a hydrometer?.

Yeah. That's the flaw with this tool. It is completely dependent on Brew Perfect being in business and their server running, which made it useless while ownership was changing. I wouldn't say it is doing anything complicated. It's measuring the gravity and temperature, calculating the abv and graphing the data.

I noticed beerperfect is advertising a sale: Valentine’s Flash Sale! Only $124.99 through 11:59pm EST
Use promo code VDAYSALE at checkout.

I tried the code today and it still worked. You don't enter that code at checkout but instead put it in the unlabeled textbox and hit submit before you click the Add to Cart button in order to get the $124.99 price in your paypal cart. I think that is a confusing procedure but it's not my company.

Last edited:
I owned a BrewBug that I managed to use for a grand total of one beer before they went under. Switched to Tilt Hydrometers and haven’t looked back. Any cloud-only option is an automatic pass in my mind. No reason or excuse for it.

Latest posts

Back