Any HVAC experts out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably can, but I think the internal coil often isn't terribly expensive and on a older install might be wise to do. Possible too, it might be a warranty stipulation too if you're buying a new outside unit.
The inside coil was not replaced when the current outside compressor was installed in 2007 and it wasn't a warranty stipulation then. It did subsequently develop a leak and was replaced about five years ago, which is why I thought it might be worth saving.

So they want $3300 to install a new compressor and $5500 if I want a new evaporator coil too. Guess I'll double check the age of the coil before I decide. I suppose I could get additional quotes, but these are the guys who installed my current systems and they were about $3000 less than anyone else on that job. I have a feeling they're still the cheapest local installer by far.

Consider: if they are "2 chucks and a truck" operation, then their warrantee is worthless. They will be on to roofing or lawn care by the time you call them back.

[edit] those prices are probably fair. At least, for a 5T system.

if they are "2 chucks and a truck" operation, then their warrantee is worthless.
Did you miss the part about them doing the previous install 17 years ago? Didn't have any problems with those ten year warranties. They've been in business here for over 30 years. The techs are all certified and average 25 years experience. And the owner coached my kid in middle school football.

So they want $3300 to install a new compressor and $5500 if I want a new evaporator coil too. Guess I'll double check the age of the coil before I decide. I suppose I could get additional quotes, but these are the guys who installed my current systems and they were about $3000 less than anyone else on that job. I have a feeling they're still the cheapest local installer by far.
Perhaps consider buying and installing the new coil with the compressor. Then keep the old coil as a spare/backup?
The evap coil is likely aluminum copper, it may need to get flushed and capped or so to prevent corrosion while stored.

We had the evap coil on the heat pump replaced after merely 4 or 5 years of service, still under the system's original warranty, after it had sprung a tiny pinhole leak. They told me that coil would have run around $4000.

We were still out about a $1000 for several service calls, testing, dye injection, recharging, and stuff like that. The new one is still doing fine after 9 years. Let's hope I didn't just jinx it. ;)

Last edited:
That seems like a lot for an evaporator coil, but maybe the heat pump aspect makes it cost more.

That seems like a lot for an evaporator coil, but maybe the heat pump aspect makes it cost more.
I think it's the Rube Goldberg scheme that somebody used to modify the original oil heat system to add AC in the first place (sometime in the early 1990s before I owned the house). Replacing the coil takes a lot more labor than it would on my other zone, which has a proper modern air handler.

The evap coil is likely aluminum copper, it may need to get flushed and capped or so to prevent corrosion while stored.
The evaporator coil is aluminum. Replaced in June 2019 when the old copper one sprung a leak. So only about two months left on the warranty.
Perhaps consider buying and installing the new coil with the compressor. Then keep the old coil as a spare/backup?
Decided not to replace it until it fails since it doesn't affect the warranty for the new compressor unit.

This is a funny coincidence, because I post a lot of brewing questions on HVAC forums.
1714060000422.png

Latest posts

Back