Attaching a Soda Stream bottle to a regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeehaw

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Pressurised gas can be dangerous and this post describes unorthodox methods. Anything you do is at your own risk.

So with that out of the way, I am slowly building my kegging solution that involves a small, seven-foot deep cellar in the house, six kegs and a 10 kg (22 lb) CO2 cylinder that was my only viable option for CO2. Obviously the cylinder is a pig to move around, so it basically lives in the cellar along with full kegs.

I figured I need a handy secondary source of CO2 for purging kegs while I fill them, and for other uses, such as bottling from a keg, cleaning, pressure testing, dispensing from a keg away from home, and so forth. I'm also planning to install a gas manifold, and wanted to make sure I don't empty the big cylinder completely in case I have a leak.

So I got one of those cheap Soda Stream adapters off e-bay, and of course, despite the description, the male threading of the adapter is non-standard and is a _very_ loose fit on the W21.8 thread of the regulator (or a CGA320-W21.8 adapter in this case), so I used a heap of plumber's hemp and paste on the threads to get it to seal, and it appears to hold. I weighed the setup just now and will weigh it again in a couple of days to be sure I have no leaks.

Anyway, if all goes well, I now have a small source of CO2 for all the various kegging tasks outside the cellar. Below are some pics.

By the way, SWMBO is loving the kegs, too -- she was making homemade redcurrant juice and was starting to prepare for bottling when I suggested we keg the juice instead. Works great and she appreciates the simplicity too!

sodastream_reg.jpg

cellar_1.jpg

cellar_2.jpg

Or you could run a splitter off your co2 regulator and accomplish the same thing

Those soda stream cartridges are expensive

Or you could run a splitter off your co2 regulator and accomplish the same thing

Those soda stream cartridges are expensive

I was battling with the fact that I can't easily move the co2 to my garage, where I transfer the beer from the fermenter to the keg. I thought I should purge the headspace as soon as possible after kegging to prevent the beer sloshing and mixing with o2 before I've carried the keg down into the cellar. Though I'm not sure if it's that big of a deal to be honest.

I forgot to mention that I fill the Soda Stream cartridge from the large cylinder of course. :)

As far as climbing down there to get some beer... yeah. It's an exercise, but not too bad. I can place the glass onto the floor next to the hatch before climbing up or down. Also, I can pull the tap up to floor level and fill the glass/growler without descending. It's not that bad. The temperature in the cellar is a nice 9 degC / 48 degF.

sodastream_fill.jpg

For anyone looking to replicate this: make sure to purge the oxygen out of the SodaStream fill hose as well as the gas hose prior to use. I kegged a hefeweizen about two weeks ago and it has turned slightly sour. I'm not positively sure about the cause being oxygen, as there was a broken layer on top of the beer in the fermenter when I kegged it (shrugged it off as yeast rafts), and the beer tasted delicious after a few days in the keg. All I know is it started getting sour after one week.

seven-foot deep cellar.... 10 kg (22 lb) CO2 cylinder ... cheap Soda Stream adapters off e-bay ... the male threading of the adapter is non-standard and is a _very_ loose fit
Just a warning on this, but these key words scream "high chance of CO2 leak" and given that it's in a cellar with no venting it would fill up, poses a serious danger of asphyxiation to anyone entering the cellar.

Example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ted-carbon-dioxide-fumes-grapes-treading.html

Kal

Latest posts

Back