anyone used xylitol yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydventer

Reaction score
i wanna try a variation on (coopers stout kit + extra extract, coffee, molasses etc etc) TUCK's Chocolate Esperesso Stout but i'm a bit scared that it might be TOO bitter (i take like 4 sugars in my coffee...) with all the coffee and cocoa powder.

i cant find lactose ANYWHERE so i thought i'd try xylitol.. so far i gathered its non-fermentable but some info suggests that it kills yeast.. so then i wont be able to use it because i bottle..

just wanted to know if anyone knows for sure if xylitol can be used as a lactose replacement??

okay, thanks

I've been wondering this same thing for a while. I've heard of guys using stevia root to sweeten wine, but no word on xylitol. You should be my guinea pig. Actually I was just reading...this one on wiki though so who knows. That it would not be able to be used in bread, because of the yeast. You might look into sorbitol also.

Just as a side note, this stuff is extremely toxic to dogs. My brother's lab just 2 weeks ago ate a couple pieces of sugarless gum and went through hell for several days... almost died. Makes me question how good it is for people.

i wanna try a variation on (coopers stout kit + extra extract, coffee, molasses etc etc) TUCK's Chocolate Esperesso Stout but i'm a bit scared that it might be TOO bitter (i take like 4 sugars in my coffee...) with all the coffee and cocoa powder.

i cant find lactose ANYWHERE so i thought i'd try xylitol.. so far i gathered its non-fermentable but some info suggests that it kills yeast.. so then i wont be able to use it because i bottle..

just wanted to know if anyone knows for sure if xylitol can be used as a lactose replacement??

okay, thanks

Try Northern Brewer

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=lactose

Ohhh so that's where Durban is huh? Yeah well I guess you may be SOL. I'll see if I can find any other info for lactose subsitutes.

If you just want sweetness, splenda is non-fermentable, but I don't think it will give you the creaminess of lactose, so I doubt I'd use it to make a sweet stout or something along those lines.

JayDVenter: Did you manage to sort anything out? I'm in JHB and I can't find any lactose anywhere either.

South Africa REALLY needs a decent homebrew store.

(Zombie thread is zombied...)

Word of warning, xylitol is a sugar alcohol and has laxative properties in high doses. I have two examples, a word of mouth one and a personal one. First, the word of mouth example, nicotine gum uses sugar alcohol as a sweetener and people who use the above recommended dosage find out what corn going through a goose is like. And finally the personal one, a few years ago my mother and I were shopping at the local mega mart and spotted sugar free candy, we thought, sweet low calorie candy. Well, its probably low calorie because it doesn't stick around long enough to be digested. We both had one piece, my mother's reaction was almost immediate and mine was about 20 minutes later. Now this could be just how we react to sugar alcohol but I'd hate to have to sit on the john to drink beer.

Many of the sugar free chewing gums use xylitol. I have never have had an adverse reaction. Now, sugar free cough drops, if I consume a bunch in one day, does have a side affect. We don't digest xylitol, nor do yeast, but our gut microbes can. Works as well as eating a bunch of beans!

Back