Anyone have a Cherry Wheat extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
This will be my fourth batch so I am still keeping it simple but bring on the summer beers!

Look up a good wheat recipe and cherry flavoring. Rumor is some commercial breweries do this. Lot more cost effective adding flavoring then using real cherries.

So I can't tell you yet how it tastes because I bottled it last week, but here is my recipe. I took the magic hat #9 extract recipe and used cherries instead of apricot. I used cherry puree in the secondary to give it a good cherry flavor. People say that using the extract makes the beer taste more like cough syrup. I used a small amount of extract at flavoring to try to give a good cherry smell.

I will say that the "beer" at bottling time tasted rather good. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Steep specialty grains (1 lb 13 oz two-row pale malt and 3.0 oz of crystal 60) at 152 for 30 minutes
Add Light DME (1.75 lbs)
Bring to a boil. T=0: _______
Once boiling, add 0.19 oz of warrior hops
Add 0.63 oz of tettnang hops at T=30 ________
Add 3.3 lbs of extra pale liquid malt extract and irish moss at T=45 ________
Add 0.25 oz of cascade hops at flame out (T = 60) _______

Cool aerate and pitch yeast (Wyeast British Ale II 1335).
Ferment for 7 days and then transfer to secondary with one can of sweet cherry puree (Vintners harvest sweet cherry puree).
Ferment for 14 days and then bottle with 3 oz of priming sugar and 0.5 oz of cherry extract.

I purchased all of the supplies from Austin Homebrew.

Cracked open my first bottle Saturday and I'm very happy with the results. It pours a nice light brown color with a bit of a red tint to it. It has a nice cherry smell that's not overwhelming.
The taste is awesome and smooth. A little hint of sweetness on the front end and a nice cherry flavor. Definitely not too much and does not taste like cough syrup. There is a bit of a hop finish that gives it a nice balance.
Overall, I was very pleased.
Whatever recipe you decide to try, I would definitely try the fruit puree route.

:mug:

Now I'm thirsty. I'm still sitting on watermelon wheat ingredients and I picked up grains for a Belgian blonde today. Enjoy that cherry wheat!

Latest posts

Back