Anyone brewing Brut IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my hall blanc is weird. i think i overdid the dryhop. 1 oz/gal. maybe it will age well. it’s just a very unique hop flavor!
How was it weird? I just whirlpooled with 2 oz of it and after I transferred to the fermenter, the kettle smelled what I can only describe as "peppery". I wonder if we have the same Hallertau Blanc. Gonna dry hop with Simcoe/Amarillo/others and I hope it turns out ok.

How was it weird? I just whirlpooled with 2 oz of it and after I transferred to the fermenter, the kettle smelled what I can only describe as "peppery". I wonder if we have the same Hallertau Blanc. Gonna dry hop with Simcoe/Amarillo/others and I hope it turns out ok.

it had a kind of vegetal character. i could see the wine reference for it, it is kind of vinous but also vegetal. peppery could come into play some i think. i wasn't a big fan. i did 1oz/gal in dry hop though, which was potent! it might be better in hop stand or using less in dry hop.

My Centennial/Galaxy/Azacca Brut turned out drinkable, but I wasn't super pleased with it so I'm going a different route. I had a great Brut IPA from 2SP Brewing co. that had Eukanot, Huell Melon, and Mittelfruh, so I'm taking some inspiration from that. I'm leaving out any flaked adjuncts. I don't really think the corn/rice is necessary, and they aren't really to my tastes. This will be pretty light without that. Hell, I had flaked oats in my last one and it was still pretty thin.

I'm adding a touch of Vic Secret for some more fruitiness to round things out.

OG: 1.052, IBUs (according to BeerSmith 3): 20.5

Here's what I'm thinking:
- 8lbs Pilsner
- 2lbs Wheat

Mash@ 146
0.25 oz Hallertau Blanc - 15 Min
0.25 oz Huell Melon - 15 Min

WP, Fermenter dry hop, and keg hop will all be the same:
1 oz Hallertau Blanc
1 oz Huell Melon
0.5 oz Vic Secret

Amylo 300 added at same time as yeast.
Fermented with Imperial Flagship or maybe Dieter (kolsch)

Last edited:
it had a kind of vegetal character. i could see the wine reference for it, it is kind of vinous but also vegetal. peppery could come into play some i think. i wasn't a big fan. i did 1oz/gal in dry hop though, which was potent! it might be better in hop stand or using less in dry hop.
Tried a hydro sample. Doesn't taste bad at all, I quite like it actually. I wish I would have added another oz. Maybe I'll add one to the DH charge.

My Centennial/Galaxy/Azacca Brut turned out drinkable, but I wasn't super pleased with it so I'm going a different route. I had a great Brut IPA from 2SP Brewing co. that had Eukanot, Huell Melon, and Mittelfruh, so I'm taking some inspiration from that. I'm leaving out any flaked adjuncts. I don't really think the corn/rice is necessary, and they aren't really to my tastes. This will be pretty light without that. Hell, I had flaked oats in my last one and it was still pretty thin.

I'm adding a touch of Vic Secret for some more fruitiness to round things out.

OG: 1.052, IBUs (according to BeerSmith 3): 20.5

Here's what I'm thinking:
- 8lbs Pilsner
- 2lbs Wheat

Mash@ 146
0.25 oz Hallertau Blanc - 15 Min
0.25 oz Huell Melon - 15 Min

WP, Fermenter dry hop, and keg hop will all be the same:
1 oz Hallertau Blanc
1 oz Huell Melon
0.5 oz Vic Secret

Amylo 300 added at same time as yeast.
Fermented with Imperial Flagship or maybe Dieter (kolsch)

Let us know how this goes. I'd been toying with the idea of 2 or 3 of Hallertau Blanc/Huell Melon/Mandarina Bavaria/Motueka combos for this style.

I thought I could get away with just adding Ultra-ferm in the mash. Not so much. I'm stuck at 1.009. I added another half vial to the fermenter and shook it up. A day later it looked like it was going but it's still at 1.009.

Should I add some glucoamylase and pitch a small starter at high krausen?

Ultra ferm is amylioglucadase(or amlio300). What did you mash at? I think it has a max temp range right around 150. I add mine to the fermenter when i pitch the yeast. Ide say give the enzyme a but longer to work and take another reading in a day or 2

Ultra ferm is amylioglucadase(or amlio300). What did you mash at? I think it has a max temp range right around 150. I add mine to the fermenter when i pitch the yeast. Ide say give the enzyme a but longer to work and take another reading in a day or 2

Per White Labs:
Product Specs: Optimal pH is between 3.5 and 5.5
Temperature should not exceed 60°C (140°F)
Amyloglucosidase activity is completely destroyed when the
wort is held at 85°C for 10 minutes

I mashed at 146-148 so maybe I denatured it... Oops. Though 85°C is 185°F so I wasn't at the maximum by any means. That being said I won't try that again.

Per White Labs:
Product Specs: Optimal pH is between 3.5 and 5.5
Temperature should not exceed 60°C (140°F)
Amyloglucosidase activity is completely destroyed when the
wort is held at 85°C for 10 minutes

I mashed at 146-148 so maybe I denatured it... Oops. Though 85°C is 185°F so I wasn't at the maximum by any means. That being said I won't try that again.

I’d guess 60 min was not enough time for it to work in the mash. You might also have a bad goal too? Once added to your fermenter, it should go towards completion and your yeast should begin fermenting again. Depending on your strain, rousing them and applying some heat could help.

I’d guess 60 min was not enough time for it to work in the mash. You might also have a bad goal too? Once added to your fermenter, it should go towards completion and your yeast should begin fermenting again. Depending on your strain, rousing them and applying some heat could help.

Something funny is going on. I added half a vial of ultra-ferm 4 days ago and the remainder of the vial 2 days ago and bumped the temp from 67-70 and it's dropped from 1.010 to 1.007 but it appears to have really slowed. Should it be this slow? I was under the impression that the enzyme really made it ferment quickly.

Something funny is going on. I added half a vial of ultra-ferm 4 days ago and the remainder of the vial 2 days ago and bumped the temp from 67-70 and it's dropped from 1.010 to 1.007 but it appears to have really slowed. Should it be this slow? I was under the impression that the enzyme really made it ferment quickly.
If the majority of the yeast went to sleep, it may be a slow process. Not enough new sugar to really wake them up. When i use the enzyme at yeast pitch it does ferment very quickly

What was your OG and yeast strain? Could you be approaching alcohol limit?

Tried my hand at this yesterday, added enzyme to the mash and unfortunately found out the temp probe on my controller was way off so mashed in at 162. Stirred and added some ice to get it down to 155 then left to go run errands for 2.5 hrs. Came home and it was down to 140 but guessing I denatured the enzyme. Going to see how it ferments out and add more to the fermenter if needed.

Specs
10 gallon batch (12 into fermenter)
80% pilsner
10% flaked corn
10% flaked rice
20 IBUs from wp (3oz citra, 3oz centennial, 1oz Galaxy, 1 oz ekuanot)
Around 75 sulfate
Around 60 chloride
WLP090

Will report back how low it gets without additional enzyme considering my mess up.

If the majority of the yeast went to sleep, it may be a slow process. Not enough new sugar to really wake them up. When i use the enzyme at yeast pitch it does ferment very quickly
Yeah I'm sure that has something to do with it. I added a DME/water mixture to hopefully wake them up a bit.

What was your OG and yeast strain? Could you be approaching alcohol limit?
1.050 and 1272 so it really should have no problem in that department. My only thought there is maybe 1056 would have been more suited for this purpose but I had 1272 built up and ready to go.

This is what I've put together so far, looking to brew next week.

OG 1.058, FG 1.000, 7.6 % ABV
37.5 IBU

80 % Weyermann Barke Pils
20 % Flaked Maize

Mash at ~63 °C (145-146 °F)

15 min - Nelson Sauvin, 30 g (22.5 IBU)
5 min - Nelson Sauvin, 50 g (15 IBU)
Dry hop with 100 g of Nelson Sauvin for 5 days

Ferment with WLP644

I'm thinking of adding glucoamylase after boil during cooling and again towards the end of the fermentation if it seems necessary, although I've gotten fairly good attentuation with WLP644 in the past without any enzyme additions.

Finally got around brewing this one last Saturday. I moved the 15 min addition to 5 min for 22,4 total calculated IBUs and did a step mash with 50 °C (122 °F), 60 °C (140 °F) and 64 °C (147 °F) steps. I added amylase enzyme (LHBS didn't have glucoamylase) at mash-in and when I transferred the cooled wort to the fermenter. OG 1.059, beersmith predicted an FG of 1.003 with just WLP644. The wort is currently bubbling away at 22 °C (72 °F), will allow to free rise to 26 °C (79 °F) once the fermentantion slows down just a bit.

For what it's worth, my water profile was Ca 55, Mg 12, Na 9, Cl 65, SO4 65, HCO3 57.

Is there any practical difference between glucoamylase and amyloglucosidase? From what I gather they're the same. I added some glucoamylase to the fermenter and it looks like it's going again after adding ultra-ferm (amyloglucosidase) which did nothing. Go figure.

Is there any practical difference between glucoamylase and amyloglucosidase? From what I gather they're the same. I added some glucoamylase to the fermenter and it looks like it's going again after adding ultra-ferm (amyloglucosidase) which did nothing. Go figure.

Nope - just different names for the same enzyme. Not sure why the ultra-ferm wouldn’t have worked unless it were stored improperly and somehow denatured the enzyme before you used it. 6ml of ultra-ferm in the fermenter got me down to a 0.996 FG.

I am thinking about making a Smash Brut Ipa with Amarillo and Conan yeast. Anyone here used either only Amarillo or Conan in a Brut?

I'm not sure I'd use Conan personally, I think I'd find it a bit overbearing in a brut. Plenty of other British yeasts would work though.

Tried my hand at this yesterday, added enzyme to the mash and unfortunately found out the temp probe on my controller was way off so mashed in at 162. Stirred and added some ice to get it down to 155 then left to go run errands for 2.5 hrs. Came home and it was down to 140 but guessing I denatured the enzyme. Going to see how it ferments out and add more to the fermenter if needed.

Specs
10 gallon batch (12 into fermenter)
80% pilsner
10% flaked corn
10% flaked rice
20 IBUs from wp (3oz citra, 3oz centennial, 1oz Galaxy, 1 oz ekuanot)
Around 75 sulfate
Around 60 chloride
WLP090

Will report back how low it gets without additional enzyme considering my mess up.
After 4 days I was down to 1.011 where it stayed for 3 days. Added 5g per fermenter along with 2 oz of dry hops last night around 7, tonight around 7 seeing 1.001 to 1.000 on the tilt. I am surprised how fast it worked. I think I will add gluco with dry hops going forward with this style. Hoping it drops a little more, I still saw some airlock activity this evening. Will probably keg without a cold crash next weekend and cold condition for a week or so.

On a separate thought, has anyone tried adding gluco to the keg to naturally carb?

This was a bit of a screw around for me. I only added Ultra-Ferm in the mash thinking that's all I'd have to do; WRONG. Read on:

4.5 gallon batch:
OG:1.047
FG:.998

Grain Bill:
72% CMC 2-row 5 lb 8 oz
18% Flaked corn 1 lb 6 oz
7% Flaked rice 0 lb 9 oz
3% Flaked barley 0 lb 4 oz

This was inspired by Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops. Rice and corn are only where they're at because I ran out of rice!

Water:
RO (it's so good it's pretty much distilled), 5.3 g gypsum, 2.4 CaCl, 1 mL 60% phosphoric acid.

Mash:
Single infusion at 146-147°F for 60 min, pH readings: 5.41 @ 20min, 5.47 @ 37min.
Add .5 mL phosphoric for 5.3 boil pH

Hops:
60 min: .25 Magnum
Whirlpool: 2 oz Hallertau Blanc at 160-150 °F.
Dry hop: 1 oz each: Amarillo, Simcoe, Hallertau Blanc for 5 days.

Yeast:
Pitch 1272 at 63°F at day 0 then I raised it 1°F every day from day 3 to 70°F.

Here's where the trickery begins. I only got down to 1.007 with the above. I added more Ultra-Ferm to the fermentor and wasn't really sure if it was going or not so a day later I added 100g boiled DME mix. Still not sure if it was going I added half a packet of glucoamylase. I rely heavily on Sean Terrill's refractometer calculator and that fooled me a bit thinking it was only down to 1.004 by day 15. Hydrometer showed .998. Emotional rollercoaster, really.

The hop schedule was inspired by member cactusgarrett. I think this is a decent job for a first attempt. I wanted to stay away for NEIPA-level hopping which I noticed several members doing in this thread. It feels like this is more of a delicate style unlike NEIPAs. This is the result:
IMG_20181125_135904.jpg

Edit:
After drinking this for awhile and comparing it alongside some good commercial examples, I don't think this was the correct hop selection nor do I think the high level of sulfate was a good idea given the inherent dryness of this style. Other commercial examples have a much softer mouthfeel and I think the sulfate worked against that in mine.

Last edited:
After 4 days I was down to 1.011 where it stayed for 3 days. Added 5g per fermenter along with 2 oz of dry hops last night around 7, tonight around 7 seeing 1.001 to 1.000 on the tilt. I am surprised how fast it worked. I think I will add gluco with dry hops going forward with this style. Hoping it drops a little more, I still saw some airlock activity this evening. Will probably keg without a cold crash next weekend and cold condition for a week or so.
Kegged tonight, 14 days after pitching yeast. Final gravity per tilt was under 1.0. Warm sample was incredible. Tasted like a pineapple heavy fruit salad. Can't wait to have it carbed up in a couple of days.

Kegged tonight, 14 days after pitching yeast. Final gravity per tilt was under 1.0. Warm sample was incredible. Tasted like a pineapple heavy fruit salad. Can't wait to have it carbed up in a couple of days.
Grabbed a sample tonight, partially carbonated and it is very surprising how it feels like a full bodied beer at sub 1.00. it is easy drinking but very satisfying. I normally do not brew beers over 5.5% so will probably dial back in the future since this ended up around 6.8% but very happy with the results.

For anyone still wondering where to add enzyme. Brulosophy just posted this: mash vs fermenter enzyme addition. I, personally, take a bit of issue with their approach to the mash addition (too hot for too short), but use this as you will.

Tl;dr: significance in the triangle test was achieved, and the mash-addition beer finished higher (1.007) and tasted maltier than the fermenter-addition beer did (1.002 and perceptibly drier).

Just kegged my first attempt at a Brut IPA with a load of Medusa keg hops (also used Medusa in 10 min addition and hop stand).

80% premium pilsner malt
20% flaked rice
OG: 1.055
FG: 0.998.

Added the enzyme in the fermenter which seems to have worked well. Fermented with Voss Kveik (a beast of a yeast!) at around 28°C (82 F). I'm very curious to see how it turns out with the dry hop and after natural carbing :)

Latest posts

Back