Another Coopers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beltran

Reaction score
Hello All,
I wanted to get some recommendation on my 2nd Brew here. I'm planning on making a Coopers IPA with extra hops (Cascade) like craigtube. Since this will only be my second brew, he recommends only boiling the cascade for 3-5 min for 1oz. would this be correct or would I need to boil it longer say 30min to 60 min.

Thanks in advance Mike

I'll respond to your question with another question - what are you after? I'll make it multiple choice:

1. A more bitter beer
2. A "hoppier" beer - in other words, more hop flavor

If you're after #1, which is probably unlikely, boil your added hops for 60 minutes. If you're after #2, which is more likely, you'll get some extra aroma from boiling the hops for only 3-5 minutes. That will indeed increase the perception of hop flavor. You can get even more by boiling some hops for ~20 minutes, some for 5 minutes, then adding some after the beer has fermented (dry hopping).

The point is to experiment and learn what you like. I say start small and go with aroma first - boil some of your hops for 5 minutes then add some after fermentation. Extra aroma can go a long way. If you still want more hops, add some at the 30 or 20 minute mark.

3-5 minutes is definitely an aroma addition. 10-20 minutes left in the boil would be for flavor, generally speaking. 30 minutes or more, & you start getting more bittering & less flavor. I guess Craig liked a lil more aroma in the Cooper's IPA & liked the flavor as is? He's a good guy that's been doing this for some 25 years & knows their kits pretty well. But you have to decide what you like from experiences.:mug:

That’s a good question mojotele
An old co-work made a Citrus/ Mango flavored IPA which was really good. I didn't get the recipe before he quit. So I'm just experimenting here. I know he used a grain recipe (Steeping), Liquid Malt extract with cascade hope and a few others. I’m going for something similar taste.

Unionrdr
I’ve been looking at some recipes this is what I have so far. (mostly CT)

Cooper IPA
700g - LME
500g – Dextrose
1oz Cascade pellets going to boil for 30-45min
1/2oz of Amarillo last 10 min of the boil (read this give a grapefruit flavor)
Dry hop the other 1/2oz on the 2nd week of fermentation.

Back