Amylas enzyme to help Finnish ¿

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher123

Reaction score
I have a cider that has been in primary for 3.5 weeks now and seems stuck at 1.010. Can I use some amylase enzymes to help finish? I use it all the time to dry out some beer recipes but never tried it in a case like this. I used champagne yeast and fermented at 68!

Thats a good question. If your apples were not ripe I would think maybe it might add some more sugar to your ferment by breaking up the starches, but, that would increase your SG not decrease it right? If we are using wild apples we sometimes add a drop of the liquid amylase just to be sure we dont get a starch haze from apples we havent used before. What was your beginning SG that a champagne yeast could go dry with it? Did you put in any nutrients at the start? WVMJ

What kind of champagne yeast? Are you fermenting this outside in the cold:) Unless the yeast ran out of nutrients this should have gone below 1.000 with any champagne yeast. Calling it done with that much residual sugar and a champagne yeast can be risky, maybe warm it up a little to see if it starts going again. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back