alternative to a beer tap faucet wrench?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get the tool. If your taps are not tight you can get leaks and foaming may occur. I had a very slow leak that was dripping into my drip tray. I didn't even notice it until I was messing with the tap to figure out why I was getting so much foam when I poured. I tightened it down with my wrench and the problem went away.

One site I looked at said that using channel locks or vice-grips can not only damage finish but squish the thing out of roundness into a useless oval shape. I'd imagine you'd need to be fairly useless at hand tools to do the latter.

Personally I used a pair of small allen keys. They fit nicely into the holes on the side of the shank and allowed me to get that extra leverage needed for a tight seal. With that success I'd say that anything you have that will fit into the shank holes designed for the faucet wrench without snapping itself off will do the trick.

And yes, while it may be a $3-5 tool, why spend any cash you don't need to?

One site I looked at said that using channel locks or vice-grips can not only damage finish but squish the thing out of roundness into a useless oval shape. I'd imagine you'd need to be fairly useless at hand tools to do the latter.

Personally I used a pair of small allen keys. They fit nicely into the holes on the side of the shank and allowed me to get that extra leverage needed for a tight seal. With that success I'd say that anything you have that will fit into the shank holes designed for the faucet wrench without snapping itself off will do the trick.

And yes, while it may be a $3-5 tool, why spend any cash you don't need to?

...and I don't want to wait to buy the tool! Thanks guys! Will try the Allen wrenches!

I just hand tighten all of mine. Never had a leak. I run 13psi or pressure on them and have 630ss faucets. Maybe I just have a very manly grip and and crank down on them. Probably not, but maybe.

To expand on that idea the allen wrench solution got about 1/8 turn at most beyond hand tight. Working in the confines of a tower one may have less success.

If one didn't want to buy the tool or use pliers u could make a tool using a some sort of belt or hose basically like those oil filter wrenches. Me I just payed for the tool.

In a world where all of my faucet wrenches vanished, I would use a strap wrench until I could go buy another faucet wrench....or a hammer.

Latest posts

Back