Alternative Keg/Kettle electric heating element choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange606

Reaction score
My current e-BIAB setup uses a water heater element and weldless setup like many others on the forum. However, one of the greatest compromises of my system is the large dead space below the false bottom due to the heat element. I probably could have drilled the hole a quarter inch lower but I don’t think that would help much. Also, I understand many people don’t use false bottoms and don’t have an issue with the bag resting on the element, but since my system recalculates I want a uniform and predictable grain bed. Further, my SS hop basket sits on the false bottom. This issue also limits the area for mashing. Consequently, I need to keep the false bottom but would like to lower it to facilitate larger grain/mashing area, and less dead space. I think the solution will require a heating element that can be mounted on the bottom of the kettle with a low profile.

Based on my researched I found possible options for tubular heating elements similar to the water heater elements with either custom fabrication, or multiple types of spa heater elements. Custom fabrication has many drawbacks including cost, I estimate it would cost around $200 each, significant lead time, lack of readily available replacement, and the other issues that come with custom fabrication. Spa heaters seem to be a good choice since they come in the appropriate wattage, are readily available and relativity low prices. However, there is limited information and most online retailers do not post detailed specifications. I am most interested in the center connection flow through, and double ended coiled models.

Has anyone had experience with either a custom or spa element including acquiring and installing them in an inverted keg (or otherwise) setup?

i'm confused...
Why don't you have the elements above the false bottom?
Here is my setup

don't mind the 2 pics.. i don't have one looking down into the current version of the BK.
But that false bottom is in both setups and fits over my elements just fine.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Do you have a picture so we can see what you're talking about?

image-3824252926.jpg

I cut the bottom off of the keg at the collar weld line and use it inverted. The element back flange is about 1/2" above the weld line so I could have drilled it a little lower. The false bottom is above the element to help form a uniform grain bed since I recirculate. I don't think there is anything I can do with this keg, but I plan to retain this one as a brew kettle and build a mash tun with an element that installs from the bottom. I am trying to see if others have tried something similar.

He's using a Brew in a Bag... that's what BIAB means so the false bottom is over the element to keep the bag from touching it and getting burned.

However, there's no need for a full false bottom when a simple perforated upside down U-shaped guard would be enough. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, a few BIAB guys have gotten away with a zig-zag ULWD element and the bag can rest right on it. Don't hold me to that one though.

Thanks for the input, but I am not trying to change my current setup other then to see if there is a heating element I can mount from the bottom that would allow me to lower my false bottom.

After additional research it appears my options are limited. There are flexible tubular heat elements, but they are hard to source and have limits on what you can do. Custom bent elements seem ideal but are expensive and not readily available. I may try one of the spa element options but I am worried about watt density. Although, I have not been able to find a single example of someone using a spa element for brewing.

Back