Air lock and vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manorbrewingco

Reaction score
Hey yous guys... So I've never heard of this before so I tried it. I put vodka in the air lock instead of the normal. Anyone else do this? I took a shot, tastes just like the beer. Awesome.

Brewing Honey Lager, Imperial IPA and on deck... Apple Cranberry Ale.

I used to do that all the time--just a spritz of cheap vodka in mostly water. Now I just use Starsan. Drink up!

Yep - before moving to a blow-off tube I used the cheapest vodka I could find (Skol or something like that) I never drank it - although It probably would have improved the taste!

Beer flavored Vodka! Damn, I wish I would have thought of that. No honey, honestly, I have only had one (in dog beers)

You don't drink the airlock stuff. Just using the vodka in the airlock kills any nasties that get in it to keep them out of the fermenting wort. Even in the event of a suck back,any microbes,wild yeast,etc would already be dead from alcohol poisoning. I started talking about it here after seeing it on Gary's Home Brewer TV & trying it.

Latest posts

Back