Aeration Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
So I just learned that I could get a disposable O2 tank from Lowes for $9! This potentially changes my mind about sticking with traditional aeration techniques. However, what else do I need to get to use the tank. I do have an aeration stone for an old aquarium pump, but it is for very small diameter tubing. So I would probably need another stone. Do the disposable tanks come with regulators? How do I attach tubing? I have seen a couple products out there for $60-70, and I'll do that if necessary, but is there any other way?

Your need a regulator that is reverse threaded, tubing, & preferably an inline filter plus a 5 micron stone.
I got mine ready to use at my LHBS.

Ok thanks! Do I really need an inline filter? Its pure oxygen right? There shouldn't be anything living in it.

I think most people using the small O2 tanks do not use inline filters. I don't and when I was researching it never saw a thread mentioning it. I bought my regulator from Williams brewing. They also sell the a complete kit, minus the bottle (and it doesn't include a filter). I bought my aeration stone from some other homebrew site. I just added my own silicone tubing and it was much cheaper than the complete package at Williams even with separate shipping.

I just ordered from them too! I also was amazed at how fast they shipped it out (within like an hour) and at 7:00 at night eastern time. I decided to not save a couple bucks and not get the wand. The wand also has a 2 micron stone, not a .5. So i got a .5 micron stone, some tubing, and a regulator all for $41 out the door.

northern brewer also carries a basic model (the one I have) and a more advanced model with a better regulator. You'll really only need the basic model of regulator and steel wand-type airstone. No air filter is needed if you use pure O2 straight out of the tank.

I just got mine from Williams as well. I liked the stainless wand it has instead of just tubing. Excited to try it.

An O2 system is a great little investment and your yeast will thank you. :)

No inline filter needed, as O2 kills microbes on contact. But be sure to sanitize the wand and stone before putting it into the wort. Some people dunk the stone for a few minutes in boiling water. And never touch the stone with your fingers, as oils on your skin can clog the tiny pores. Especially the .5 micron stones. Keep the stone wrapped in a plastic baggie when not in use.

Be sure to unscrew the regulator from the cylinder when not in use, otherwise O2 can slowly leak out and you'll find an empty tank next brew session. Don't ask me how I know this.

Couldn't you also use the fish pump method? Just star san your tubing, and plug in the pump for a few minutes ??...........

Methods of Aeration / Oxygenation

Homebrewers have several aeration/oxygenation methods available to them: siphon sprays, whipping, splashing, shaking, pumping air through a stone with an aquarium pump, and injecting pure oxygen through a sintered stone. We have tested all of these methods using a dissolved oxygen meter and have found that, when using air, 8 ppm of oxygen in solution is the best that you can achieve. Injecting oxygen through a stone will allow much higher dissolved oxygen levels. The chart below shows methods tested and the results.

Method DO ppm Time
Siphon Spray 4 ppm 0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking 8 ppm 40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone 8 ppm 5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone 0-26ppm 60 sec (12ppm)

It was concluded that pumping compressed air through a stone is not an efficient way to provide adequate levels of DO. Traditional splashing and shaking, although laborious, is fairly efficient at dissolving up to 8 ppm oxygen. To increase levels of oxygen, the carboy headspace can be purged with pure oxygen prior to shaking. The easiest and most effective method remains injecting pure oxygen through a scintered stone.

An O2 system is a great little investment and your yeast will thank you. :)

No inline filter needed, as O2 kills microbes on contact. But be sure to sanitize the wand and stone before putting it into the wort. Some people dunk the stone for a few minutes in boiling water. And never touch the stone with your fingers, as oils on your skin can clog the tiny pores. Especially the .5 micron stones. Keep the stone wrapped in a plastic baggie when not in use.

Be sure to unscrew the regulator from the cylinder when not in use, otherwise O2 can slowly leak out and you'll find an empty tank next brew session. Don't ask me how I know this.

Thanks a lot! Those are good tips, and things I never would have done otherwise.

Couldn't you also use the fish pump method? Just star san your tubing, and plug in the pump for a few minutes ??...........

You can get a lot more oxygen than you can with air. According to the Yeast book by Jamil, most people (and most small breweries) do not aerate enough. And it is very hard to aerate properly without pure oxygen.

Latest posts

Back