adjusting for sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
hey brewers,

i recently found a recipe which i would like to recreate. however, in this recipe, the author states that it is for a no-sparge method and that i should adjust if i am going to be sparging.

how would you recommend that i do this?

More likely than not, the recipe is designed with a low efficiency figure. You need to convert that for your system. Post the recipe and I'm sure people will give it a go.

this is the only recipe i could find for kilkenny cream ale clone.. if you know of a different one I'm open for suggestions.

:

I agree. This is a wonderful beer. I had it when I was in Budapest and again when I was in Berlin. I was ecstatic when I found it in Toronto, but I've yet to find it in the States. So - as a homebrewer, I figured I must clone it. You are correct though, it is served with nitrogen / beer gas, so you won't have that affect. However, I keg all my beers now and I have a "Creamer" faucet, so while it doesn't last like it would with beer gas, you do get the waterfall visual. Just don't blink, because it will be gone :) What you're left with, using this type of faucet is a nice thick creamy head at the top. I have my CO2 set to 12 lbs and let it carb for two weeks. It's at the top of my re-brew list. Of the five faucets I have, I've decided this is a a brew I will always have on tap.

The recipe below is for all grain, adjusted for no sparge method. So, keep in mind you'll have to adjust back some of your grains if you're doing batch sparging or fly sparging:

8.48 lbs Belgian Pale
3.64 lbs Belgian Wheat Malt
1.81 lbs Carared
0.49 lbs Flaked Oats
0.11 lbs Belgian Chocolate Malt
0.10 lbs Black Roasted Barley

0.6 oz Northern Brewer (Pellets 60 min.)
0.1 oz Fuggles (Pellets 15 min.)
0.1 oz Fuggles (Pellets 1 min)

White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Target Mash Temperature 152 deg F

Target Boil Volume 6.59 gallons for a 5.00 gallon batch.

Let me know what you think!

original post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kilkenny-irish-cream-ale-request-34939/

yup. is basically guiness light. im not doing nitro though, I'm just a rookie homebrewer.. although it would be nice, i would love to pour some of my own homebrew and see that waterfall.
but, for now, I'm just looking for the flavor of that beer.

Back