Adding twice the amount of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcirush

Reaction score
I'm making an ipa that users 1 oz of summit at 60 and 1 oz of zythos at 15 is it cool to double it? I love love a hoppy ipa but i'm a true newbie and just need a little advice. Thanks

It depends on your goal... if you are looking for hop aroma and flavor the add the extra at 15 and flame out. If you are looking for bittering then add at 60 and/or 30... if you want only aroma you can add at flame out and/or dry hop. What is the rest of your recipe?

Your recipe is probably balanced according to the malt and just doubling it will make it terribly bitter. Your best bet is to plug the recipe into something like hopville.com and see how many IBU's it is. Then you can add another ounce of zythos at 10 and 1, then slide the summit addition around (45min, 40min, 35min, etc) to try and get back to the original IBU's. That will give you the same bitterness, but more hop flavor and aroma.

It's an extract recipe with 1lb crystal malt to steep. 7lb extra pale extract and 1lb extra light dme. summit at 60 and zynthos at 15 no dry hop.

It's an extract recipe with 1lb crystal malt to steep. 7lb extra pale extract and 1lb extra light dme. summit at 60 and zynthos at 15 no dry hop.

I would definitely not double the summit at 60 minutes, unless you want to go ahead and lose your tooth enamel with bitterness. :D

I'd be fine with using the hops like this:

1 oz summit 60 minutes
1 oz zythos 15 minutes
.5 oz summit 10 minutes
.5 oz zythos 5 minutes
.5 oz summit 0 minutes
.5 oz zythos 0 minutes

thanks for your help, this site is the best!! i didn't want to make anything undrinkable. thanks

I made an English Pale Ale last year an accidentally doubled the hops because of a formula error.

Best mistake I ever made.

I'm making an ipa that users 1 oz of summit at 60 and 1 oz of zythos at 15 is it cool to double it? I love love a hoppy ipa but i'm a true newbie and just need a little advice. Thanks

in my short time on this forum I've learned the more hops, the more manly you are

Back