adding stuff to fertlizer to effect hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
Would it work to add something like grapefruit or lemon zest along with the fertilizer to your hops to add more flavor to the hops?

I'm sure the soil composition has some effect on hop flavor but adding grapefruit to your fertilizer isn't going to make your hops taste like grapefruit.

Perennials and annuals function a little bit different internally. You've just been the assigned point person on this project, haha~

Perennials and annuals function a little bit different internally. You've just been the assigned point person on this project, haha~

I just might do that. I have some goldings growing in my backyard; the description for them is "floral, fruity, and herbal". Perhaps something really different like vanilla or some kind of citrus.

Well for veggies people use banana peels for potassium and egg shells for calcium. Citrus rinds will net you acidic soil, I'm thinking.

If you have more than one plant of the same variety of hop, it may be worthwhile to do side by side comparisons of this in a small scale.

I'm interested in this experiment, but lack the multiples of the same varieties and the space to conduct it.

Back