A.I. Generated Forum Responses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only follow three homebrew forums so I might not have the largest sample to compare with but... I have noticed that on the Beersmith forum there seems to be a growing influx of responses that are generated by Artificial Intelligence. I have only noticed this on that forum. Not here and not at the AHA forum.

The responses are all clearly generated by AI... vague, nebulous and offer nothing in the way of answering the questions asked. The accounts are all mostly newly created and have a very low number of posts.

I'm just curious if anyone else has run into these type of accounts/responses on other forums?

I haven't really noticed it, but don't doubt there are some AI spam posts dropping in.

There are a ton of Beersmith threads in the brewing software section. Which thread(s) are you referring to? Can you post links? I'm curious now.

I have not, but it is concerning. "OMG A.I. is going to change the world [for the better]!!!"

I very much disagree. Haven't seen much positive coming from generative AI yet. It is good for scoring student responses in the education world, perhaps. But, to me, AI is just a program, an algorithm that someone developed. It's nothing "new" per se. But the tech world is allowing it to take more control of our everyday lives.

No I've not seen any responses on other forums that were obviously generated by AI. I have, however, seen some lengthy posts of zero substance from certain individuals here on HBT, not recently but back in maybe 2022 & 2023. Interesting that that coincides with about the same time as AI first came out. But more likely I think is that these people just are poor communicators.

I have not, but it is concerning. "OMG A.I. is going to change the world [for the better]!!!"

I very much disagree. Haven't seen much positive coming from generative AI yet. It is good for scoring student responses in the education world, perhaps. But, to me, AI is just a program, an algorithm that someone developed. It's nothing "new" per se. But the tech world is allowing it to take more control of our everyday lives.
Than let me be the first one to introduce you to the wonderful world of completely ai generated music including text and vocals. At it's best. You cannot tell me that this song is not a pure diamond!

https://suno.com/song/f93a9138-f974-432c-b291-39ea1e3b6034

Not to be a dick, but....nothing about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or gettin' drunk:

(I will admit to not clicking the link though... I don't like much new music)
:mug:

I haven't really noticed it, but don't doubt there are some AI spam posts dropping in.

There are a ton of Beersmith threads in the brewing software section. Which thread(s) are you referring to? Can you post links? I'm curious now.
The most recent I ran into this morning involved a question by a user with a question about carbonation using priming sugar vs krausening. His question was: Is there a distinction as to when a brewer might choose to use one between these 2 options ? <snip> Also do these two forms of carbonation require pressurized tanks?

The questionable response came from a user that just joined the forum today and has only one post. This was the response that smacks of being an AI response...
This forum post discusses the distinction between two techniques used for carbonating beer during bulk fermentation: krausening and priming. The poster demonstrates an understanding of both methods, noting that krausening involves adding actively fermenting wort, while priming involves adding sugar or dry malt extract (DME) to already fermented beer.

The poster raises questions about the circumstances in which a brewer might choose one method over the other and whether either technique requires the use of pressurized tanks. These questions indicate a thoughtful consideration of the practical aspects and implications of each carbonation method.

Overall, the post reflects a nuanced understanding of brewing techniques and seeks further clarification on specific aspects of krausening and priming, demonstrating engagement and curiosity within the brewing community

Here is another in response to a question from someone asking where he can buy Michigan grown hops. While the response is slightly more to the point and actually provides a few suggestions who the hell talks like this??

Hey there! When it comes to sourcing high-quality hops for your craft brews in Michigan, there are a few reputable wholesale suppliers worth considering. One popular option is Hop Head Farms, known for its commitment to quality and sustainability. They offer a diverse selection of hops, including both classic varieties and newer experimental ones. Another excellent choice is Michigan Hop Alliance, a collective of local hop growers dedicated to producing premium hops for brewers. They prioritize freshness and offer a wide range of hop varieties to suit different beer styles and flavor profiles. Additionally, you might want to check out Pure Mitten Hops, a family-owned hop farm in Michigan that focuses on producing organic hops with unique flavors and aromas. Before making a decision, I recommend reaching out to these suppliers to inquire about their current hop varieties, availability, and pricing. You can also ask for recommendations based on the specific flavor profiles you're aiming to achieve in your brews.

In the same thread came yet another questionable response to the poor OP....

If you use hops from Michigan when brewing, it lets you style the nearby flavours of the place where they have been grown. Two types, Michigan Cascade and Centennial, have the same ordinary traits, however, with juicier citrus flavours in contrast to hops from different places.

What kind of barbarian doesn't like pickled, well, anything, really?
You know, Arlo said he didn't want a (to) pickle, just wanted to ride his motorcicle... lol I sing that every time I don't want pickles on my burger. But I did have a burger recently with pickles and it was really good to my chagrin.

The first rule of forum moderation is "don't talk about forum moderation".

That being said, I occasionally see posts that look like LLM generated text 'come and go'.

1714151650054.png

The most recent I ran into this morning involved a question by a user with a question about carbonation using priming sugar vs krausening. His question was: Is there a distinction as to when a brewer might choose to use one between these 2 options ? <snip> Also do these two forms of carbonation require pressurized tanks?

The questionable response came from a user that just joined the forum today and has only one post. This was the response that smacks of being an AI response...
This forum post discusses the distinction between two techniques used for carbonating beer during bulk fermentation: krausening and priming. The poster demonstrates an understanding of both methods, noting that krausening involves adding actively fermenting wort, while priming involves adding sugar or dry malt extract (DME) to already fermented beer.

The poster raises questions about the circumstances in which a brewer might choose one method over the other and whether either technique requires the use of pressurized tanks. These questions indicate a thoughtful consideration of the practical aspects and implications of each carbonation method.

Overall, the post reflects a nuanced understanding of brewing techniques and seeks further clarification on specific aspects of krausening and priming, demonstrating engagement and curiosity within the brewing community

Here is another in response to a question from someone asking where he can buy Michigan grown hops. While the response is slightly more to the point and actually provides a few suggestions who the hell talks like this??

Hey there! When it comes to sourcing high-quality hops for your craft brews in Michigan, there are a few reputable wholesale suppliers worth considering. One popular option is Hop Head Farms, known for its commitment to quality and sustainability. They offer a diverse selection of hops, including both classic varieties and newer experimental ones. Another excellent choice is Michigan Hop Alliance, a collective of local hop growers dedicated to producing premium hops for brewers. They prioritize freshness and offer a wide range of hop varieties to suit different beer styles and flavor profiles. Additionally, you might want to check out Pure Mitten Hops, a family-owned hop farm in Michigan that focuses on producing organic hops with unique flavors and aromas. Before making a decision, I recommend reaching out to these suppliers to inquire about their current hop varieties, availability, and pricing. You can also ask for recommendations based on the specific flavor profiles you're aiming to achieve in your brews.

In the same thread came yet another questionable response to the poor OP....

If you use hops from Michigan when brewing, it lets you style the nearby flavours of the place where they have been grown. Two types, Michigan Cascade and Centennial, have the same ordinary traits, however, with juicier citrus flavours in contrast to hops from different places.
I haven’t seen anything that bad here but I know there have been some highly questionable AI seeming accounts removed from HBT. Maybe our Mods are just doing a better job of taking out the trash. 👍🏻

I haven’t seen anything that bad here but I know there have been some highly questionable AI seeming accounts removed from HBT. Maybe our Mods are just doing a better job of taking out the trash. 👍🏻

That is the case. I'm seeing AI spam, and they are getting more creative. They use innocuous comments, then go back later and edit it. From what I've seen most, they hyperlink punctuation and then color code it.

To be clear, I've not seen it actually hit the board but we are all looking out for it.

That is the case. I'm seeing AI spam, and they are getting more creative. They use innocuous comments, then go back later and edit it. From what I've seen most, they hyperlink punctuation and then color code it.

To be clear, I've not seen it actually hit the board but we are all looking out for it.
You guys are awesome! Thanks for keeping watch.

I’m still waiting to see an AI generated post that posts an AI generated image of an AI generated brew sculpture, which will of course have 7 fingers on each hand; hands, of course, not typically extant on brew sculptures.

I’m still waiting to see an AI generated post that posts an AI generated image of an AI generated brew sculpture, which will of course have 7 fingers on each hand; hands, of course, not typically extant on brew sculptures.
I found this over at Beersmith (jk)

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
What kind of barbarian doesn't like pickled, well, anything, really?

Pickled gizzards in the big jars is just too much visually. Reminds me of the science lab things in jars of formaldehyde.

I know several people that like them, the gizzards that is, but y'all can have my share no problem. :)

Back