A different dms question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Ive heard of dms being a problem and that I should not keep the lid on while boiling the wort and I dont. my question is after I get my strike water to temp I cover my keggle to keep temp so I dont use as much propane to warm it up again. I shouldn't worry about dms from the sparge water since ill be boiling it for an hour anyway right. I have a few friends with diff ideas so id like to hear from you guys.

Are you saying you are just keeping your kettle with water in it hot? Or are you keeping your first running of wort hot until after your sparge is complete?

DMS is in the unboiled wort but not in the water. So keeping a lid on the water pot is fine. And as long as you are going to boil later you can keep the lid on the first runnings as well. That is what I do, drain the mash turn and cover the pot while I get my sparge started. Then I put the first runnings on the burner, uncover and start heating. After stirring the sparge until I am bored I let it settle and then drain it directly into the boil kettle (taking a couple of pitchers off first and recircing them to get clear wort). It usually starts to boil before all the sparge running are in but not that much.

Latest posts

Back