5 lemons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
My mother bought a bag of lemons at Costco, and gave 5 of them to us. They have just been sitting here. I hate letting things go bad. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do with them?

How about this--do a Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and substitute the lemons for the oranges. Since it's 1 orange per 1-gallon batch, you've got enough for a 5-gallon batch there. Use bread yeast as per the recipe and go on the high side with the honey, so you end up with a pretty sweet mead. By the time cough & cold season rolls around next fall, you'll have a honey-&-lemon spiced mead that a long sight better than any cough syrup :)

Nice... I might for go for the JAOM.

The lemonade angle... I do have some raspberry puree in the freezer. Don't know if a lemonade/raspberry wine would work?

Decisions decisions. I just needed some suggestions to get me thinking, apparently.

If you don't want to ferment them that way, you could wedge them up and pack them solid in good sea salt and make preserved lemons- it is used in many different countries for cooking-- the salt takes on the lemon flavor and is great on veggies and fish and the lemons are used to flavor chicken dishes. Just a thought.
You just pack them into the salt and then cap the glass jar tight and let them sit for a few weeks and then your set to go. nope they don't rot, too much salt.

2 lemons for lemonade + 2 lemons preserved in sea salt + 1 gallon Joe's Ancient (Lemon) Mead = a plan....

We have lemon trees all over our neighborhood. I end up just using them as a source of citric acid for root wines.

Just threw some neighborhood lemon juice (about 3 lemons each) into a few gallons of carrot wine, and beet wine.

If you don't want to ferment them that way, you could wedge them up and pack them solid in good sea salt and make preserved lemons- it is used in many different countries for cooking-- the salt takes on the lemon flavor and is great on veggies and fish and the lemons are used to flavor chicken dishes. Just a thought.
You just pack them into the salt and then cap the glass jar tight and let them sit for a few weeks and then your set to go. nope they don't rot, too much salt.

I'll second this idea, preserved lemons are really really great in Moroccan tagines.
I did some a few months back, they're ready in about 6 weeks, fantastic flavour. Well worth doing.

Latest posts

Back