3724 + 3711 combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allouez86

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a grisette tomorrow. There's not a ton of info on the style but for those who are unfamiliar it's basically a very low abv saison. I have an OG of 1.030 and am looking to have it come out to just about 4% abv.

I just made my starter of 3724 and just realized that I had a pack of 3711 that I forgot about and have no use for at the moment so I decided I'd try this brew using both. My plan is to pitch the 3724 tomorrow and then give it three or four days then pitch the 3711.

Questions: When I pitch my 3711 I'm just using it to help dry out the beer and speed up the process so there won't be much of a chance for lag with the 3724. When I pitch the 3711 would it be best to just pitch it without a starter since it's such a low og and is only being used after the 3724 has done most of the work? I'm assuming that just pitching a portion of the smack pack without a starter is the answer.
Also, has anyone with experience in this situation noticed any more depth of flavors from the combination or is are the flavors pretty much dominated by the 3724?

Personally, I'd just save the 3711 for another beer. Depending on the size of your starter and the temps of your fermentation, the 3724 should make short work of a 1.030 wort. Hell, that's where a lot of people say that it stalls, so it'll probably be all downhill for you.

Latest posts

Back