3 month bulk aging for Blackberry wine sufficent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
Is 3 month bulk aging for Blackberry wine "sufficent"?
I can age more in the bottle...
I'd like to get going on the next wine and need the fementors.

Will I be OK?
or will the sky come tumbling down?

Maybe the question should be - is the wine ready to bottle yet? If it's clear and not producing any lees whatsoever, then yes. If not, then no. The sky will be fine whatever you do, but if you bottle too soon you might get gunk settling in the bottom of the bottles and causing off flavours. Or pressure could build up, pushing out the corks or, so I've heard, even making the bottles explode.

I do not think there is any reason for concern... yet how would one know that the wine was not throwing anything down anymore unless you were to rack and observe for another extended time?

If there is still activity that is obvious or measurable, that would be a different story, but I think it is done... nevertheless I wonder if there is some important difference between bulk and bottle aging... surface area, gass egress etc....

In the past I bulk aged the wine for about a year.

Just cracked open some blackberry mead after 3 years and it was wonderfully different from the 3 months when I had bottled it. Aging can improve good wines, but you can age in the bottle although I do believe that bulk aging has advantages.

Just cracked open some blackberry mead after 3 years and it was wonderfully different from the 3 months when I had bottled it. Aging can improve good wines, but you can age in the bottle although I do believe that bulk aging has advantages.
What are the pluses/minuses bulk vs bottle aging? How about bulk carboy vs barrel aging? Thx & Cheers[emoji111]

My general procedure is to rack once monthly or when the lees are 1/4 inch or more until no more lees are being formed and the wine stays clear. Then bottle and age, which I usually do for about a year. I believe I learned the racking from Yooper, although it certainly could have been any of the other wine experts on here.

Maybe its a good time to get some more carboys for bulk aging.
But go ahead and bottle it you need the space.

Latest posts

Back