2L yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
This is probably a really easy question to answer but I just want to make double-check. So I am brewing a 10% strawberry IPA this weekend and I know I will need to make a 2-liter yeast starter/ this will also be my first ever yeast starter. I am using Giga Yeast GY054 Vermont yeast for this starter. What I am trying to figure out is what I am supposed to do for a 2L starter. Do I just double the recipe for a 1L starter so basically just do 2L of water, 200 grams of DME, and then a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient? Also, today is a Wednesday and I will be brewing this Saturday. I do not have a stir plate, so when do you think would be the best day for me to make the starter.

Yes, a 2L starter would double the amount of water, DME, and nutrient. But if you're talking about something like Wyeast nutrient, 1/2 teaspoon is way too much IMO. Wyeast's recommendation is 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons of (beer) wort. I scale it back accordingly for starters.

Yes, a 2L starter would double the amount of water, DME, and nutrient. But if you're talking about something like Wyeast nutrient, 1/2 teaspoon is way too much IMO. Wyeast's recommendation is 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons of (beer) wort. I scale it back accordingly for starters.
Ok, thank you. Also, if I am using the Wyeast nutrient in the starter, do I need to add it as well to my boil during my brew day?

Ok, thank you. Also, if I am using the Wyeast nutrient in the starter, do I need to add it as well to my boil during my brew day?

Well, the venerable "How to Brew" recommends (or at least used to recommend) not adding nutrients to both. But I think it's beneficial, as long as you're paying attention to dosage.

Back