23l batch in 60l fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjphoto

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a new conical fermenter as my current one got a bit scratched up. I can only brew 23l batches currently but will be upgrading my brewing system within the next 12 months.

I am wondering if fermenting a 23l batch in a 60l fermenter is going to have any negative effects? I assume the head pressure would be different but will this have a huge effect on the way it ferments?

I am looking at the Malt Mechanics 60l Conical Fermenter vs the 30l. So the diameter and cone are identical just the height is different.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It will be fine. Co2 will sit on top off the beer and push the oxygen upwards. Pressure will be negligible at that volume.
I'd brew another batch the next day and add that to the fermenter. Would save on yeast and you have the space.

It will be fine. Co2 will sit on top off the beer and push the oxygen upwards. Pressure will be negligible at that volume.
I'd brew another batch the next day and add that to the fermenter. Would save on yeast and you have the space.

OP might be fine. But... there will be no CO2 sitting op top of the beer and push the oxygen up. Gases mix. The "CO2 blanket" is a myth.

Back