$200

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
so my wife is asking what I want for Christmas (obviously beer stuff) I can't narrow it down. We gave each other a two hundred dollar budget. So far I have a 15 gallon aluminum brew pot, Converted cooler for mash tun, two bucket fermentors and one 5 gallon carboy, a keg that I am converting to a fermentor, two tap kegorator with three corny kegs (one spare), out door burner. I have alot of ideas of what I want but I don't want to sway the responses so what would you guys get with 200

I should note, I love fancy stuff, however my sole purpose in buying new stuff right now is to help me make better beer easier....I think a grain mill would be awesome thanks gila

If you aren't currently able to do a full volume boil, I would go with a kettle. Without knowing what you have already it is tough to say. Digital temp controller for your fermenters is a huge plus as well.

If you aren't currently able to do a full volume boil, I would go with a kettle. Without knowing what you have already it is tough to say. Digital temp controller for your fermenters is a huge plus as well.

Pretty sure 15 gallon brew pots get pretty close to full boils. ;) Lest you brew by the barrel.

Haha mis read the original post. Thought he was talking about things he was considering... Maybe I need to put the beer down...nah

Easier/higher tech:
Grain mill
quick disconnect tube connectors (simplicity in plumbing)
electronic balance (looks cool and high tech)
pH meter (looks cool and high tech)
glassware (kimex/pyrex media bottles (with screw caps) and erlenmeyer flasks)
Stir plate and stir bars (looks cool and high tech)
dedicated mini fridge for lagering (with temperature controler)
visible wavelength spectrophotometer (yeast population measurements)
glass petri dish, iodine and dropper (starch conversion, mash completion)

Cheaper beer:
1. vacuum sealer (with mylar bags and O2 absorber packs): bulk malt and specialty grains, can also be used for bulk hops (splitting large order into 1 oz packages)
2. hops rhizomes: grow your own hops - careful here, this is addictive
3. glycerol, 10ml sterile nalgene tubes (or glass tubes with screw tops), 10ml glass pipette, hand pump pipettor (or better yet, battery powered): yeast library

Hope you have a great X-mas

PikledBill

another vote for grainmill. you can get a real nice one under budget and still have a few bucks left over for a stocking stuffer

Grain mill
Temp control for fermentation
PH meter
Aeration system
More kegs!!

I honestly think temp control is the single best investment a homebrewer can make. The longer your fermentation stays at the specific ideal temperature of the yeast, the better the better the beer will taste. How about a cheap fridge off Craigslist and a Johnson temp controller?

I honestly think temp control is the single best investment a homebrewer can make. The longer your fermentation stays at the specific ideal temperature of the yeast, the better the better the beer will taste. How about a cheap fridge off Craigslist and a Johnson temp controller?

+1 on this. My beer got infinately better when I started controling the temp.

+1, made my process much better!

A temp controller is about $80. If you already have a fridge go for a bunch of hops and grain so you can get a couple batches in without a kitchen pass.

Otherwise, try to find a $120 fridge for fermentation temp control.

A grain mill or a pump!

For under $200 you could get some steel and rent a welder (if you don't have one) to make a starter stand.

Two reasons:

1) Some poor guy is being forced to sell what appears to be a near complete brewery. Of course, he could just be upgrading which leads to my second reason.

2) I didn't see this when I still needed to buy it.

Back