• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

12gal Carboys on CL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the fact that they've got volume markings on the side (if his look like the one in the picture). I don't love the fact that they've held oil. If he can guarantee that the oil will be completely removed with his method, I'd probably think about it more seriously.

85 is a bit pricey, but it's mainly because it's pyrex. I think I'd end up passing on these just due to the amount of weight you'd be moving around with 10 gallons of beer in that. A 6.5 gallon carboy is heavy enough.

85 dollars is a steal! He's not lying when he says they cost 600 new.

Since pyrex can be direct fired, I had an idea to use these as a boil vessel and fermenter, but not sure how well it would work with the small opening, but I guarantee borosilicate (pyrex) carboys will be much stronger than soda lime glass, and thus less likely to break. I'd buy em up if I lived near him.

What does the cleaning method consist of? Is he going to do it before he sells them? Silicone oil (from a quick google search) is very hard to remove and is normally done with high temperature very basic emulsifying solutions.

If you need a 12 gallon carboy, you might look into it. As noted though, they will be heavy when full! And you can probably get something plastic for around the same price.

Since pyrex can be direct fired, I had an idea to use these as a boil vessel and fermenter, but not sure how well it would work with the small opening, but I guarantee borosilicate (pyrex) carboys will be much stronger than soda lime glass, and thus less likely to break. I'd buy em up if I lived near him.

I would imagine that if you were able to clean them well enough and you were into no-chill brewing, these would be awesome!

I didn't notice where it said $600 new! That's insane.

even without considering direct fire, the durability of pyrex is pretty sweet. If you can clean em, I'd get one or two.

If they are pyrex, they are at LEAST 600 empty. That's retail, so you may find better prices, but everywhere I look, they are very expensive. certainly more than 85 bucks.

Back