10 Day primary for wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
Hello HBT.

I'm Looking to make an American wheat beer with some real hop character. I'm looking to dry hop for 7 days. Is a 10 Day primary too short for a wheat?
I was going to start the dry hop after the vigorous end of fermentation had completed around the 3 day mark, making a 10 day primary.

In a homebrew environment for most of us that's pushing it. However considering an OG of 1.045ish is highly likely if you pitch more yeast than usual it's completely possible to produce a good brew as described.

I'd flip it. Dry hop for three day, starting on day seven.

That's if fermentation is complete on day seven.

I'd flip it. Dry hop for three day, starting on day seven.

That's if fermentation is complete on day seven.

In my experience the bulk of my primary (Minus 2-6pts) has been done in the first 5 days or so. I usually leave it in for 2-2.5 weeks, but everyone says wheat beers start great and go down hill. I would likely have the batch consumed in about 40-45 days after bottling.

Estimated OG is 1.052 by the way.

Also, yeah I'll flip the days if that's better for dry hopping.

In my experience the bulk of my primary (Minus 2-6pts) has been done in the first 5 days or so. I usually leave it in for 2-2.5 weeks, but everyone says wheat beers start great and go down hill. I would likely have the batch consumed in about 40-45 days after bottling.

Estimated OG is 1.052 by the way.

Also, yeah I'll flip the days if that's better for dry hopping.

I just cold crashed a beer on day 9 and bottled on day 14... if fermentation is done, it's done.

Not sure the 'clean up' period people always talk about can't be completed in the bottle, because it's crystal clear and tastes great.

YMMV

10 days is fine for a wheat. I've brewed this one Belgian wheat beer a few times and I usually just primary for 10-12 days and then keg it up. Comes out fine

Back