Zythos and ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I have a pound of Zythos hops blend along with some Amarillo, Columbus, Citra, Centennial and Simcoe.

I am brewing an IPA, mostly 2 - row, a bit of Vienna and a bit of C-20.

I'd like to start using the Zythos. I prefer not to do a single hop brew.

I would appreciate suggestions on what hop combos, based around Zythos, would work well. I understand that Zythos is a blend and may be usable by itself. But, I'd rather not gamble an entire batch of IPA on a hop that I don't really know anything about.

Thank you.

I found zythos to be better in a (minimal) supporting role. I did an all zythos IPA a while back and while it wasn't bad per se, it wasn't what I'd call delicious either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did an IPA from a local supplier with equal Citra/Zythos that was pretty decent. Bittered with Warrior and Citra+Zythos at 15/5/0 and dry hop. Will brew again.

I just purchased the MoreBeer Zythos extract kit.... anyone else try it ? ? ? ?

I have a pound of Zythos hops blend along with some Amarillo, Columbus, Citra, Centennial and Simcoe.

I am brewing an IPA, mostly 2 - row, a bit of Vienna and a bit of C-20.

I'd like to start using the Zythos. I prefer not to do a single hop brew.

I would appreciate suggestions on what hop combos, based around Zythos, would work well. I understand that Zythos is a blend and may be usable by itself. But, I'd rather not gamble an entire batch of IPA on a hop that I don't really know anything about.

Thank you.

I hear Centennial and Zythos are pretty good together, Although the beers I've had have had the added extra of US Cascade in there...
normally on IPA's I do a similar grain bill
I'd bitter with Columbus
Then nice hefty additions at 10 and 0, for me my IPA's have improved with a larger addition than the 10 min one, and do the same dryhop addition at the very least. Another tip I've been given (not tried it yet) is to add another flameout addition. Something like this, would probably be quite nice....
Columbus - 60 Min 0.75oz or more depending on your OG etc.
centennial/zythos - 10 min 1oz each
centennial/zythos - 10 min 1.5oz each Minimum
An as mention if your feel like it either Simcoe or Citra would go nicely with another 1oz at F/O
then dryhop 1.5-2 oz of each zythos and centnnial for probably 3-5 days.

thats my opinion.:rockin:

I hear Centennial and Zythos are pretty good together, Although the beers I've had have had the added extra of US Cascade in there...
normally on IPA's I do a similar grain bill
I'd bitter with Columbus
Then nice hefty additions at 10 and 0, for me my IPA's have improved with a larger addition than the 10 min one, and do the same dryhop addition at the very least. Another tip I've been given (not tried it yet) is to add another flameout addition. Something like this, would probably be quite nice....
Columbus - 60 Min 0.75oz or more depending on your OG etc.
centennial/zythos - 10 min 1oz each
centennial/zythos - 10 min 1.5oz each Minimum
An as mention if your feel like it either Simcoe or Citra would go nicely with another 1oz at F/O
then dryhop 1.5-2 oz of each zythos and centnnial for probably 3-5 days.

thats my opinion.:rockin:

Oh and if you really wanted to you could layer in a 30 min addition of something as well.

Zythos, Citra, & Chinook all have a nice citrus aroma and complement each other well, they make a real nice Hoptimum like IPA

IMO bitter with zythos it was a terrible hop to me. The description made it sound awesome but it was nothing like that. Take in mind these were 2012 or 2011 it might have been the first year for zythos or second year, but I would not buy them again. I did use it 1 time for a dry hop in an ipa and I used 4oz and got no hop flavor or aroma from them at all.

I just brewed a zythos session IPA last wek. I plan to dry hop with citra. My thinking on using one hop was it is blended.

I just brewed a Zythos pale ale...2row, vienna, and some c-15. 10gal batch. ..
1oz fwh
1oz 15min
1oz 10min
1oz 5min
1.5oz flameout
ill dry hop with 2oz (1oz in each carboy) for 3-5 days.

hoping for a good brew

I just brewed a zythos session IPA last wek. I plan to dry hop with citra. My thinking on using one hop was it is blended.

A Session IPA you did. Any info on a recipe. Would a nice change from the normal Big IPA's

Hop schedule .5oz mash hop. 2oz hopstand. Citra dry hop. 2weeksfermentation is tomorrow. I will test and taste it then. I may only do 1oz citra. Depends on taste. For grain I used 1lb crystal 20L. 8lbs 2 row 4lbs 6row. Og1.048 target abv 4-4.5. I really only do session IPAs anymore. I have found that any IPA recipe works just add water or lose base malt. It's all about the og and sg. Low abv low bitter max flavor.

Bry-97 yeast. Pitched at room temp. Fermented in a swamp cooler in a room that is 68degrees

Back