Ziploc and Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to dead fermenters after pitching a 1.061 10 gallon batch of IPA yesterday. I know the "Fermentation can take 72 hours" spiel, but not in my house. I stick to brewing what I know, I use the same yeast and pure oxygen. I haven't had a batch of beer not take off in under 4 hours in 6 months. After 12 hours, my beers are exploding.

Not today baby, not today. Something is wrong.

The only difference that I can think of is when I purchased the yeast a couple of weeks ago, I tossed the 2 dry packs of US - 05 into a 1/2 pound ziploc bag of hops that I also purchased and sealed it up. That weekend I ended up pitching onto yeast cakes and I didn't use the yeast. It sat it the ziploc with the hops inside the keezer for 2 weeks.

Do those packets need to breathe or something? Could I have suffocated dry yeast?

I peaked inside. It's dead. I know my beer. It's always the same. This morning? Nothing. Normally 15 hours into it, it's decide on blow tube or not time.

Considering that they are shipped in air tight bags to beginwith? I don't think so. Same applies to bread yeast. Those packets are sealed up.

Yeah, that's what I would have thought. Oh well, not allowed to worry about it. If I get home and it looks the same I'll just pitch some fresh yeast and forget about it. It's just odd and I don't like oddities when brewing something so routine.

+1 on improper handling between production and purchase. Sounds like a dead packet. Did you proof the yeast?

you seriously worried about suffocating an air tight package? i pitched two identical US-05s the other day (bought at same place, same time) one took off in 6 hours, one took off in 24... different beers, same gravity, one had wheat (the slow one) in it...

personally i wouldn't break a sweat until after 48 hours and even then, i'd probably just walk over to it and yell at it.

Latest posts

Back