zinc plated washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
I could not find a clear answer to this. I used a zink plated washer on the inside of my mashing tun,should I throw out my beer for health reasons, or is it okay to drink it?

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity you would have to ingest quite a bit of zinc to make it toxic. So your 5 gallons of beer should be fine. However go get a stainless steel washer they aren't that much and you will have piece of mind in your future brews that you wont poison yourself friends or family.

The trouble is once the zinc begins to react rust happens quickly. You don't want that. If you look in the cheap and easy mashtun thread you will see some pics of zinc coated things that turn bad. You can also find the link in the parts list for fastenal which seels the ss washers you need.

Greetings. I'd buy some SS washers if I were you. If I were me, I'd buy some at Lowes and then drill the centers to the correct diameter on the lathe at work.

Back