Zeus should be called Medusa and Mt. Hood Mt. St. Helens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
Last year I planted four varieties of hops, Zeus, Mt. Hood, Centennial and Willamette. All survived, but the Mt. Hood barely did. The Zeus actually bore about and ounce of dried cones. In the second year here in Kansas, the Zeus broke out like a Medusa monster. There were nice looking bines going every where. I snipped off all but three and by the end of March the thing is three feet up the line. My Mt. Hood has one bine that is about 8 inches long. When I searched the forum on Mt. Hood it seems like a lot of people struggle with the Mount Hood. Maybe you have to live in Oregon.

I guess I should say that by Mt. St. Helens, I mean that it is cratering--not erupting.

I had a tough time with mt. hood last year. The summer was brutal but the mt. hood hung on until about mid-way through the summer. It never grew more than about a foot but I thought a one year of root growth would mean this year would be good. The heat just dried it out. I did replant the rhizome over the winter and it seemed to grow some new roots so it might come back but I'm not counting on it.

I tried mt. hood again this year but I got a rooted cutting instead of a rhizome. I don't know if it will survive a brutal summer but it's been in the ground for about a week and a half and it has five good bines and about six inches of growth. It's outperforming my sterling from last year, nugget and cascade.

Well that's encouraging to hear. If the stuff can survive Texas, Kansas shouldn't be impossible either. I'm hoping that the plant is going deep and out in order to someday shoot up. That sounds like a spiritual metaphor of a kind.

Latest posts

Back