Zeus hops ruining the food in my fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I recently picked some Zeus hops from a buddy at work, and dried them. I don't have a vacuum sealer, so I just put them into a big ziploc bag, squeezing all the air out I could. That seemed to work just fine.

Woke up the next morning, and air had gotten back in. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but I figured it would hold better than that. Either way, they were in my fridge, and now my butter and cheese smells a little like hops, and the taste is off, too.

Moved the hops to the freezer for now, nothing really in there. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I worry about putting any new food in there? Is there something I can do to get any remaining hop presence out of there?

Either way, they were in my fridge, and now my butter and cheese smells a little like hops, and the taste is off, too.
You say that like it's a bad thing ;)

Seriously though, I think that with the hops in the freezer you should be fine putting other stuff in the fridge.

Hop Butter? Sounds... delicious.

now that you have them in the freezer, your refrig compartment should be safe. I would seal them better if you are storing them for long in the freezer though, as I have heard of stuff like ice cream picking up smells in the freezer (it has never lasted long enough in my house though).

brew club buddy brought in some Simcoe ice cream to one meeting, but the hops were in there on purpose and it was delicious

hop butter on some lightly toasted multigrain bread? oh, hellzyeah

SWMBO would kill me if everything in the fridge smelled/tasted like hops. She just about barfs whenever I pour a fresh IPA.

Latest posts

Back