Zesty Pee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When should I add the sweet, sweet zestiness?

• In secondary, before clearing

• Just before bottling, keeping it as fresh as possible

• Other, read my post

Results are only viewable after voting.

ThatVideoKid

Reaction score
I enjoyed my first batch of Skeeter Pee, but I feel like it could have used some more of that fantastic lemon aroma! I think my plan should work, but let me know if I'm crazy.

I bought about 25 lemons and zested and squeezed them. Got a little over 2 cups of fresh juice, and made up the difference with RealLemon. I didn't add the zest in now, as I know that EC-1118 will blow all the delicious aroma right out of there. Instead I'm basically making limoncello to add in later. When do you think is best? Before clearing? Just before bottling? Clarity isn't a huge concern of mine, and its only about a half liter of liquid.

This is for a 6 gallon batch btw.

image1.JPG

FYI...I added the zest of one grapefruit to 6 gallons of Chardonnay in the secondary, and it really popped the flavor....but it was in no way over the top.

the zest of 25 lemons...that just blows my mind...and I would think lemon zest may be even more potent. Very easy to add, very hard to remove. I think I would drain the juice off the zest and add that juice now. Pour vodka over the zest and make an "extract". After the secondary, IF you feel you need more kick, then you could add the extract to suit your tastes. Give yourself a little wiggle room!

Yeah, maybe I'll pour it into a second jar(still don't want it to all blow off) and add more vodka to the zest. Then if I need it I can add it. I won't be too worried if it's over the top though, as summer is approaching and I have many female friends that would love some sort of tangy lemon beverage on ice. It's not like it cost more that $20 to make haha

Don't stress. I used 75 limes (slightly smaller, but still normal sized) and the zest of 40 of them in my 5 gallons of Lime wine. DELICIOUS on all accounts! Go for it! Glad you understand clarity will suffer, but if it's not a problem, you won't regret it. Report back!

Will do, At least half of this batch is probably going into beer bottles for direct consumption anyways. Big annual family camping trip, where there are no more kids(well theyre over 21 now). The beer/wine consumption has increased 10 fold

Back