Zero Tolerance - Mash Techniques Discussion (9/30)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
Hey all

Our next meeting is going to focus on a topic near and dear to the hearts of many in this forum: Mash Techniques.

Please join us either in person or online for the discussion Sunday 9/30 2pm-3pm
http://www.zerotolerancebrewing.com/2018/08/september-meeting-mashing-techniques.html

If you have techniques you want to share or questions you would like to have answered, please let me know so we can work those in.

Thanks All

I'm looking forward to this. What I would love to hear the most is a comparison of yours, Bob's & Ed's techniques/beers.

1) What efficiencies are you seeing with your method (I know the system will also have a lot to do with this).

2) What differences do you experience between all of your beers in terms of flavor, appearance, body, head retention, etc? This is more related to process rather than recipes.

3) I'm curious why you are so keen on 185 and Bob is so into 135 degrees. What led you to that magic number?

Thanks for doing this!

Good info despite some tech problems. I think we've figured out that there are many ways to skin this cat, but now the challenge is to see what method nets better beer and efficiency. Time for some comparisons!

I did try Bobs method for a couple brews and saw a little lower efficiency. Its interesting to see that he has since altered his method. I also tried omitting the beta glucan and protein rests and saw a drop in efficiency as well. There are so many variables though...

Ed's slide show on FB is awesome! I loved his breakdown of the various grains, comparing protein/fat, nutrients, flavor etc. And the gelatinization temp chart is great too!

Ed's points on grain sneaking into the kettle hit home as well. I use a Grainfather and it's definitely an issue. I'm going to try a stainless steel 500 micron screen on the bottom of the basket and see what happens.

I was just listening to basic brewing radio podcast with 3 of your guys,I was surprised that nobody talked about overnight mashing,any experience with this? I wanted to do 100% malted oats using this technique.

Latest posts

Back