Zero Minute Hop Addition (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
I’m boiling an American Pale Ale right now with 60, 25, 10 and 0 minute hop additions. I know too do the boil with the lid off the kettle. However, I usually cover the kettle during the ice bath for chilling. With a 0 minute hop addition should I cover the kettle for chilling or leave it uncovered?

A follow up question, I usually prevent the trub (is the kettle crap still called trub or just the fermentrr crap) from going into my fermenter. With a zero minute addition should I allow the "kettle trub" (help me out with the terminology) to go into the fermenter?

proceed as usual. It's not the hops that can produce DMS in the beer.

Whichever gives you the best results. If you prefer a cover while chilling, go for it.

Cover it, and for max aroma let the wort chill to around 170-180f before adding the hops, continue chilling and let them sit for at least 20-30 minutes.

_

Cover it, and for max aroma let the wort chill to around 170-180f before adding the hops, continue chilling and let them sit for at least 20-30 minutes.

_

+1 though I put them in a bit warmer. I recirc through a CFC the whole time and that will chill the wort a bit just through contact with the air. I wait until it hits about 195 to add the hops. At the end of a 30 minute whirlpool/steep it is around 170.

Back