ZAC Imperial IPA Recipe Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
My son is about 2 months old and I would like to develop a beer recipe in his honor. I was thinking of using his nickname "ZAC" as inspiration for the hops by using "Z", "A", and "C" hops and brewing an Imperial IPA. This is what I was thinking; any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

ZAC IIPA - Imperial IPA

Recipe Type: Extract (Distilled Water)
Yeast: WLP001 - California Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 (7.75 Boil)
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 261.2 (Rager)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 7.2 srm (Mosher)

9.1# Muntons DME - Extra Light [79%]
1.5# Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [13%]
0.5# Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L [4%]
0.5# Muntons DME - Wheat [4%]

2.0 oz Citra (90 min)
2.0 oz Zeus (90 min)
1.0 oz Centennial (45 min)
1.0 oz Zythos (30 min)
2.0 oz Ahtanum (0 min)
2.0 oz Amarillo (0 min)
2.0 oz Citra (Dry Hop 7 days)
2.0 oz Zeus (Dry Hop 7 days)
2.0 oz Zythos (Dry Hop 7 days)

That wont be hoppy at all! :D

The 45min Centennial addition seems unnecessary. You've got a heavy dose of high cohumulone Zeus at 90min, so get ready for a kick in the teeth.

If you want to use a full oz of Centennial and Zythos during the boil, perhaps consider small additions of each from 30 min to 0 min. As your recipe stands, the Centennial and Zythos may get drowned out by the 90min Zeus/Citra.

If you're using distilled water, be sure to add 1-2 tsp of gypsum (CaSO4) at the beginning of the boil. The calcium for yeast health and the sulfate to bring out the hops. This will make a HUGE difference in the perceived hoppyness of the beer.

Let us know how this one turns out.

I can appreciate a solid IIPA but I think you're a bit strong on the bittering charge. Using Citra for a bittering hop is a waste of Citra. I'd move the 2oz of Citra to a whirlpool of hopstand along with the 1oz of Centennial.

Also, make sure you have PLENTY of WLP001 for that beer. You want to get that as low as possible. Mash low, like 148 degrees.

Thanks guys points taken!! Maybe I need to re-think the hops... is there a suggested hop schedule, while keeping to the Z A C type hops? ... maybe sticking to Zythos, Amarillo, and Citra?

I will ensure I add gypsum to the water.

Last edited:
Something like this should work:

1oz Amarillo FWH (towards end of grain steep & while kettle is heating)
2oz Zeus @ 90min
1oz Zythos @ 20-30 min
1oz Amarillo @ 10-15min (I like to match FWH w/ the 10-15min addition)
1oz Ahtanaum @ 5-10min
2oz Citra @ flameout or short hop stand while chilling/whirlpooling

Dry hop w/ Zythos/Amarillo/Citra

Back