Your Yeast Recommendation Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
I plan to order the Honey Porter extract kit below but there's no recommended dry yeast - only liquid. As the kit needs to be mailed overseas I really only want to use a dry yeast. Unfortunately, yeast characteristics remain a black hole for me (as I'm barely hanging on to the steep brewing learning curve as it is!). So what dry yeast would you recommend for this recipe and why?

Many thanks everyone!

"This full-bodied American porter has a smooth honey flavor.

Specialty malts: Crystal 90L, honey malt, Carapils®, chocolate malt, Black Patent
Featured hops: Kent Golding
Other additives: honey

O.G. = 1.057
F.G. = 1.014
Approximately 5.6% ABV
Approximately 191 Cal / 12 oz
Makes 5 US gallons

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 4 lb Dry Malt Extract, 2 lb Honey, .5 lb Base Grains, 2.25 lb Specialty Grains"

Depends a little on what temperature you will be fermenting at.

Danstar Nottingham 58 F.
Safeale US O5 62 F
Safeale S 04 63 F

It kind of depends also on what flavor you want. The Danstar is a nice clean yeast as is the US 05, the S-04 is more British in flavor and a little estery/fruity.

Your recipe says American porter, almost laughable as they then present a British version and what could be more british than porter? I think it originated there, and they sold the living you know what out of it. Added nasty chemicals and made people go blind and die. Thanks Mass Production!

Anyway, fermentation temperature control means you need to have it colder than the temps I quoted, and by a few to five degrees F when you are actively fermenting.

Cheers.

Back