Your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feurhund

Reaction score
This is part of the BBA/EBY Brett experiment. One of these things is not like the other....
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398222543.064826.jpg

I've seen mold before, but this is something more....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398222593.800666.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398222606.087457.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398222619.032515.jpg

What do you think? I bottled it so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks like a science experiment if I ever saw one. I can't imagine it smelling ok, I would cut my losses on that one as well.

I got three bottles off each 1/2 gallon jug. That gnarly one had no smell and it is oddly clear, while the others are hazy. I didn't taste any of them as it was just before dinner and a work night so I wasn't feeling bold, but they are Brett so funky is expected.

I will try them when they are carbed and chilled and hope against poisoning myself.

Absolutely remarkable. Sometimes I think... Gee... why don't I brew sour beers? Then I see stuff like this. I'm impressed you let that in your house, let alone three bottles.

If you guys aren't familiar with the project, there is a microbiologist in Switzerland-eurekabrewing.com who is isolating single Brett strains.

He sent every participant tubes with the instructions to make small batches of a particular recipe and then send back sensory panels on each strain.

The funky one opened in shipping so it was. Really small amount I grew up and some mold transferred from the stater to the batch. The others smell very nice and "Bretty"

People are afraid if sour beers for the same reason people don't like the rind on Brie cheese or the natural yogurt you have to mix up. But I keep telling my 4 year old "try it you might like it" so I will eventually take a sip of that alien monster soup at some point.

I'll be really honest. I brew a lot of sour/brett beers, and I eat a lot of seriously funky and moldy cheese.

But there's no way in hell I'd touch that.

I am with Hopinista on that.
It looks like you have moldy baby turds in your brew!

That pitch was obviously riddled with mold. I would absolutely not drink that... Just judging from a lot of the microscopy I have seen from these cultures of "single strains" for this experiment, many appear to be a mixed bag of microbes.

In the process of evaluating these strains, it's definitely my opinion that more time should have been put in on the from end with respect to really cleaning each strain up and providing a contamination free pure culture. That's the only way you're going to get meaningful and consistent sensory data. Hope some good info can still come out of this experiment.

Latest posts

Back